Angle help

Hello, What is the preferred method for woodworkers to increase lengths and keep the angles the same. For instance, let's say a saw horse is twelve inches tall. The legs are angled at 15 degrees. The builder wants the same saw horse design but at it 27 inches tall. I would figure the new leg lengths based on a triangle. What other ways of figuring lengths on angles are there for woodworkers? Are there any websites with this information? I could not find any.

Christopher

Reply to
Christopher

Christopher wrote: | Hello, | What is the preferred method for woodworkers to increase lengths | and keep the angles the same. For instance, let's say a saw horse | is twelve inches tall. The legs are angled at 15 degrees. The | builder wants the same saw horse design but at it 27 inches tall. | I would figure the new leg lengths based on a triangle. What other | ways of figuring lengths on angles are there for woodworkers? Are | there any websites with this information? I could not find any. | | Christopher

If the angles are known, then trig is the tool. If the angles aren't known you can measure them and use trig. If you can't measure one of the angles, you can copy it using a bevel gauge or with a pair of dividers.

If h is the desired height of the sawhorse and L is the length of a leg, then you can calculate L = h / sin 75

I have a trig "cheat sheet" stashed away at

that you're welcome to use.

Morris Dovey

The easiest way is to make a scale drawing of what you have and what you want.

Reply to
Dave W

My "preferred" method these days is my CAD program. Takes less time to fire it up than it does to do the math/trig, at least at my age.

Reply to
Swingman

The proportions stay the same -- just increase the lengths of the legs, and the distance between them at the floor, to 27/12 times the current measurements.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The last time I used the sine of an angle was when the HR department published its rules for benefit calculations.

Reply to
HeyBub

snipped..

I usually go the easy way and make a scale drawing.

Christopher

Reply to
Christopher

Take a look at

of the calculations on that page will do it for you.

Christopher

Reply to
PDQ

HeyBub wrote: | Morris Dovey wrote: | || || If the angles are known, then trig is the tool. If the angles || aren't known you can measure them and use trig. If you can't || measure one of the angles, you can copy it using a bevel gauge or || with a pair of dividers. || || If h is the desired height of the sawhorse and L is the length of a || leg, then you can calculate L = h / sin 75 || || I have a trig "cheat sheet" stashed away at ||

that you're welcome to || use. | | The last time I used the sine of an angle was when the HR department | published its rules for benefit calculations.

Since you're using Outlook Express as your newsreader, I know you have a calculator handy to make sine calculations easy.

The other easy method would be to measure the leg length on your 12" sawhorse and do a proportion calculation, but you'd end up using the calculator there, too.

As usual, there's more than one way to skin this cat. Choose the method you're most comfortable with. :-)

Morris Dovey

To me, doing the calculation involving such a simple proportion *is* "the easy way". Scale drawings are time-consuming; calculations are quick. YMMV.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Where do they hide the calculator in OE? I have not seen it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

If you are using OE, it is probably because you have Windows. There is a calculator on all Windows machines.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Lee Michaels wrote: | "Morris Dovey" wrote || || Since you're using Outlook Express as your newsreader, I know you || have a calculator handy to make sine calculations easy. | | Where do they hide the calculator in OE? I have not seen it.

Who said anything about the calculator being *in* OE?

Mine hides in the Windows "Start" menu (yours may hide elsewhere).

Morris Dovey

Start All programs Accessories Calculator

Once started, in View you can change to a scientific calculator with the trig keys.

Reply to
DanG

Woohoo! I just met my quota of one new thing learned per day! Unfortunately, I'm running 7 years behind.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

DanG wrote: | Start | All programs | Accessories | Calculator | | Once started, in View you can change to a scientific calculator | with the trig keys.

If you use the calculator frequently, you can follow the path DanG provided to find the little bugger, then right click on its icon and drag it back to the "Start" menu. I'd suggest choosing the "Create shortcut" option, then right clicking on the shortcut icon and selecting "Rename" so you can call the shortcut "Calculator".

Once you've changed calculator to scientific mode, it'll stay that way forever (or until you select View and change it back.)

If I used it _really_ often, I'd drag it down to the "launch pad" (next to the Start button).

Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote

I always have trouble seeing those little calculators in the OS. I have some solar powered LCD calculators that are impossible to read. I never looked for a big one to use on the computer.

What I use is and ancient LED display unit with big numeric display. It is a power hog and requires two D cells to run it. It takes more power than my flashlight.

But I can see it from across the room. And the keys are nice and big. Everything else pales in comparison.

I must come across like I'm really old. After all, how old do you have to be to have an ancient LCD calculator?

;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Or when you get inspired to buy a new keyboard (after too many woodworking posts that elicit spewed coffee) a $15 Microsoft keyboard with a calculator key (as well as others) works pretty slick for a quick launch....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Morris' had better be solar powered!

... mine is. :)

Reply to
Swingman

| What I use is and ancient LED display unit with big numeric | display. It is a power hog and requires two D cells to run it. It | takes more power than my flashlight.

I still have an old HP with LEDs - but the key legends and display digits are so small that I can't use it if I'm not wearing glasses. If I have my glasses in place, I can use the one on the computer. 8-)

I'm not looking forward to the day when I'll need to install the magnifying glass software. 8-/

Morris Dovey