Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

In fact, _two_years_ ago. For a U.S.-based company in the same line of business as Lee Valley, as it happens.

A 'sale catalog', by definition, is not a large catalog. The production process is much different for a sale catalog. You get that ability to set pricing much closer to mailing date at a significantly higher production cost.

Funny thing, too. you can get much faster turn-around on a large number of copies of a relatively small number of pages, than on a relatively small number of copies of a large number of pages.

There is also the issue of the _number_ of people you're willing to throw at the task. Which has to be amortized over the number of copies produced.

And whether the catalog production is the _only_ thing they do, or whether they have to do 'something else' _most_ of the time.

A *BIG* company, like Sears, or Eatons, has a large advantage in all those areas; a *much* bigger base -- at least two orders of magnitude -- to amortize costs across, *Dedicated* departments/staff doing the work. and and producing _many_ publications per year.

They spend considerably more on advertising, per dollar of revenue/profit, and which is reflected in the amount of 'mark-up' they have to take. On the other hand, because of the 'economies of scale', they get *more* 'value' per dollar spent on catalog production.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Do you really have a clue? I don't think you do.

Sears sale books in Canada are at least double the page size of Lee Valleys MAIN books.

Reply to
Robert

Bonomi)

You're really not too bright are you? Have you ever looked at pictures of products from Sears between editions of catalogue? They're all the same picture. You can go back a few years and aside from the addition of new products, they're *all* the same picture.

Lee Valley issues new catalogues with a large proportion of new pictures. That takes time and money.

Now top playing the ignorant whiner and screw off like a good little boy. You may like being a troll, but there isn't anybody I know that appreciates being disliked all the time. You contribute exactly nothing to this news group. I've yet to see one supporter of your argument, so again, why don't you leave? You're not wanted here. Only the basest idiot stays where they're not appreciated. It's sheer lunacy to do otherwise.

Reply to
Upscale

...... Now, it is a _fact_ that the value of the Canadian Dollar, vs the American

Isn't it the US dollar that is losing value not the CDN dollar rising? So the prices for the US customers should be rising which won't benefit Robert in any way. The CDN price won't change. Anyway, I'm Canadian and I hope Robert isn't giving us a bad name down south. It appears he is our village idiot.

Reply to
BeerBoy

Jeez. Only one? We've got thousands. Or is his motto "So many villages, so little travel time"?

Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I offered to sell him the Niagara Falls, but he just wanted to whine because I wanted more for the Canadian side than for the American side.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No. That usually only happens when the bigger customer is a single customer vs. a customer in a different geographical location with lots of customers. LV's individual single customers probably all buy about the same amount on average. The bigger sales to a single customer warrants a discount because of the cost savings in shipping to multiple accounts and bigger savings on large volume orders to the manufacturer or supplier.

Correct, but uh yeah I hear us bitching. It has been all over the national news and it is pretty much common knowledge. By contrast, the pricing by LV is not a national issue.

Reply to
Leon
[boring stuff]

Couldn't you have laid one "false-to-fact" on him?

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:32:12 -0500, WoodMangler calmly ranted:

Buhbye!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What does this have to do with anything. My local auto seller puts out a paper every week larger than Lee Valley catalogs where virtually everything is new. It's trivial to add prices to a catalog just prior to printing.

I would assume the price is set by Lee Valley just weeks before you have the book in your greedy little hands.

I still maintain that at the time the prices are set Lee Valley is charging Canadians more, because they can get away with it.

Nothing at all to do with costs.

Reply to
Robert

LOL! Drink less beer dumbass.

Reply to
Robert

That is a distinction without a difference.

When you're considering =relative= values in _two_ markets, the effect of one currency rising in value is exactly identical to the other currency falling in value.

The 'futures' markets price in US$, for a fixed 'face' amount of the 'foreign' currency.

Rob Lee said that their _costs_ are in CDN $, so it doesn't matter whether the CDN $ is strengthening, or the US$ is weakening -- CDN prices would remain constant.

But, yes, with the relative strengthening of the CDN dollar vs the US dollar, (or the weakening of the US$ vs the CDN$) 'U.S. dollar denominated' prices would be expected to rise.

And in the running for the _provincial_ title, as I understand it.

I also notice he wasn't bitching for the 1st half of the year, when the relative value of the dollar was _rising_, and Lee Valley didn't adjust U.S. prices _downward_ to compensate. Obviously he thinks that their 'screwing the U.S. customers' -- in exactly the manner in which he presently claims that Lee Valley is 'screwing their Canadian' customers -- *is* acceptable.

Which establishes beyond any doubt that his claim is *not* based on 'a matter of "ethics"' but pure, selfish, self-interest.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You are a village idiot in a group full of village idiots.

Veritas® #6 Fore Plane Show me just ONE day in the past two years where Americans did not pay less for this plane than Canadians.

Reply to
Robert

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit hey dumbass. Several people have posted supporting my position. For everyone brave enough to post there are probably 4 dozen lurkers who also agree. NO one has disputed the facts I have posted. All you morons have done is post childish flames.

Reply to
Robert

I see. Prove it. What are their names?

So now you're a long distance mind reader? Is it good for you?

I'm a moron, but in this news group you have yet to post one woodworking tip, instruction or helpful link to products.

I ask you again. Why are you here? Is the question too difficult to understand? Does it need to be made simpler? Why are you here in this news group? What do you contribute to the art of woodworking?

Answer the question. Why are you here?

Reply to
Upscale

No argument here.

Reply to
Robert

So now everybody knows you're a liar. You can't give names of people who have supported you.

Stll waiting for those names liar.

Apparently, you're unable to answer this question. The only fallback you have is to throw some more names at me. How pitiful you are, not being able to contribute in any way, shape or form. That must be really depressing. I'd offer my sympathies, but you're obviously unable to appreciate any type of condolence.

Reply to
Upscale

Well I must admit, I supported him with the understanding about having to pay too much....

Hope I am not in trouble ( scurries off, tail between legs .... )

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

pay too much....

Nobody wants to pay for something if they can find a way to pay less, but that doesn't for one second excuse his attacks on Lee Valley. I think Lee Valley tools are expensive too. I don't like having to pay for anything if I can help it, but the idea of LV not existing at all is much less desirable than what it costs me to buy from them.

Reply to
Upscale

You should - the Canadian side is bigger.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly