Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

Page 2 of 9
Sorry, the one I ordered this weekend is for my kid's Christmas.
Enjoy the "free" (taxes in) healthcare....

Robert wrote:

Eh?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

So uh, what is stopping you? You apparently could easily arrange to have the product shipped to the US and sent back to you and then you could sell it to your fellow Canadians.

Robert, you must be a Democrat. Only they will whine about something and not do anything about it. ;~)
Robert you gotta understand something here... almost every U.S. galoot in this NG absolutely worships Lee Valley and it's Veritas products, see? Hence your many negative responses. I am economical and poor because of my health conditions, I have mentioned it before but no one gives a genuine rat's ass... so I get around paying and supporting the giants any way I can. Although I would love to have a Veritas low angle block plane.
But personaly I can see your understanding in that most if not all Veritas products are made in Canada, and if sold to Canadian peoples at 30% higher, it would piss you red maple leafs right off.
The grass is green and the sky is blue, whaddya do?
One thing to remember about shopping in the U.S.A. and you try to hide it in your vehicle, the border patrol take and record the weight of your vehicle. Anything you bring back across the border will add weight down to the ounce.
Sorry if this didn't help, Alex

That's a neat trick. I wonder how they account for the coffee and donuts you had for breakfast which adds weight not to mention how much difference in weight there is between a full tank of gas and an empty one. Please to explain?
Frank

the tank is. "They" know how to figure it all in. Same at the Mexican border but no doubt all the more thoroughly done. Probably a bit more casual up north.
Alex

Uh huh.

account too! ...make your gringo ass illegal! Oh yes oh yes!
Alex

You might want to mike your tinfoil, looks like you need a double layer.
AAvK writes:

It may be so at the Mexican border, but it ain't so at the Canadian border. How the hell can "they" record how full the tank is when your damned gas gauge can't, within a gallon or two?
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken
AAvK wrote:

I live within 2 miles of the Canadian border. In all the trips I've made into Canada never once did an inspector on either side of the bridge look at my gas gauge. My job has required me to be on site while the lanes at the inspection booths were dug up to install various sensors/detectors since 9/11. There are/were no scales.

Alex
AAvK wrote:

I've never had a problem. Of course I declare everything I purchase as well. In general you're allowed a duty free exemption for most items up to a total value of $200 for each person family member that resides in your household and is with you, provided you've been in Canada less than 48 hour and haven't used the "duty free" exemption in the last 30 days.
Reminds me of the time a bunch of us were coming back from Victoria, B.C. We has a couple of cases of hard cider (this was before most folks south of the border discovered how great it is!). Someone told us that we couldn't bring it back with us. Since we had several hours to wait for the ferry to load, we decided that they couldn't complain if we brought it back IN us! Picture 6 or 8 college students, two cases of dry Canadian cider, a nice cool day (and by the way a bottle of Crown for variety). The ferry ride was a blast!
Grant
Stephen M wrote:

Grant Beagles writes:

How old are you, Grant? My granddaddies were making hard cider in the very early 20th century, and late 19th century, I was drinking it more than 50 years ago, and I'm positive we were far from the first folks south of Canada to try it.
Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
I'm 46. We didn't have cider in Montana that I knew of.
Grant
Charlie Self wrote:

message

If you have apples in Montana, then someone somewhere had cider. Maybe not in the grocery store or bar, but somewhere.