Amazon Heads Up

They already pay sales tax in Washington state.

And New York, unfortunately. Newegg is resisting, so far.

headquarters and some warehouses are here. They took over the big, old public health hospital on Beacon Hill in Seattle for their headquarters. Much of their shipping for the book business used to be here too. Until they hired a guy from California.
He pointed out that they were in an earthquake zone. And as per cooperate earthquake rules, you never have more than a third of your corporate business function in an earthquake zone. So they started backing everything up in several locations and making plans for moving people if a big earthquake happened. And they started establishing warehouses and shipping centers elsewhere. It was a big deal because, wherever they built, they would have collect sales tax on local sales.
And they did. But they draw the line on a referral sale. I wonder how much money is being lost by the state who insist on doing this. They know that they can't charge tax to folks outside of the state. The do collect taxes on the various businesses in the state no matter who they sell to. And they now are losing that tax.
Apparently they are upset that they don't get to double tax the sale.

They have to, their HQ is there.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

This has always been the law for Illinois sales tax. A company with some physical presence in the state is responsible for collecting the tax on Illinois retail sales. Amazon dodged around it by using "affiliates". Amazon didn't collect, but technically, any Illinois affiliate shipping to an address inside the state was required to collect it.
There is also a "use tax" in Illinois. It has been in effect since '55. In effect if you buy items from out of state for use in Illinois, the purchaser is supposed remit the tax. (you get credit for sales taxes paid to other states). Reporting this has been on the honor system, and as a result nobody ever does it.
Amazon could have probably stayed ahead of the curve by only connecting interstate buyers and sellers. But it would not have lasted forever. The bottom line is that you owe tax on all purchased items used in Illinois. They have not chased after mail order and internet sales because the paperwork would be a nightmare.
The computer revolution is changing that.
Paul K. Dickman

http://tinyurl.com/3y6xfjj
Edward Hennessey wrote:

...[Note on Amazon web pricing elided for brevity]...
Amazon has turned into mostly nothing but a front for a zillion different e-tailers instead of actually being something themselves.
Owing to that, I've pretty much given them the brush-off in preference to a direct online distributor link that I can tell who it is upfront.
"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

I've bought quite a few tools from Amazon, and often they've had the lowest price as well as free shipping. *But* you need to do your homework, as sometimes you can find better deals elsewhere at a given moment. I also dislike their use of "list" prices which are so ridiculously high that their claimed discount is meaningless. Their prices really do go up and down too, leave a few items in your shopping cart for awhile and note how the prices change over the weeks and months.

I suspect they are doing that deliberately to grab your attention and maybe get you to order the stuff.

Thanks to DGD for the comment. If you go to camelcamelcamel.com, you can plug in an Amazon URL and chart price movement among 3 classes of resellers, Amazon included. Price alerts can also be dispatched to you if you register on the site, AFAIK. Any report on the site would be worthwhile.
The correlations in price development among retailer groups are interesting. As to price upswings, on the big A , part of that may involve a calculation by Amazon that if they jump a price notches higher a formulaic number of times, a person who has placed it in their cart--along with other waiting "wannabuys"--may be triggered to buy at some point on the apprehension that the bill for a desired product is spiraling beyond reach.
Acsquisition and operating costs and competition are other obvious drivers in this flux but what some may say is shifty manipulation or gaming by Amazon is not apart from the picture.
Hey, Sphero, for some reason your name is tolling the bell of association with one John Woodgate, either correctly or no. If rightly, do you know what became of him?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:50:25 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"

More Spehro than Sphero.. now that I've lost ~50lb... ;-)

True enough. John Woodgate (a Brit)... well, I suspect he got fed up with all the US political BS on s.e.d. (not to mention rudeness and low signal to noise ratio) and left some years ago. He's quite active on one electronic simulation group that I subscribe to (posted within the last 30 minutes- about 9:35 pm London time).
Here's John's website if you should wish to contact him- he is very knowledgeable on matters of pro audio standards and such, and I think Spanish translation.
http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk /

SP:
Please have my apologies for the global nymshift but I'm sure you get that conversion to the less-unique lookalike with some frequency.
Congratulations putting some of the ponderous pounds behind you. You'll live longer; that's often the preference.
John and I are well-acquainted. If you get a chance to inform him of my inquiry, he may find the fond sentiment tolerable.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

SP:
My wonderment gives. If it is not intrusive or unwanted, could you do me the favor of explaining the origin and meaning of your full handle? Not since going to court with one Pratsersak Vathavornchotni --a moniker than eventuated as intelligible--has a name captured so much unknown in its composition.
Regards and "Dum spiro, spero",
Edward Hennessey
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

Maybe, retailers sometimes play games with prices for such reasons. But it could also be because they noticed a competitor cut their price and so Amazon is going to beat them by five bucks, or because they bought a trailer-load and got a deal, or the wholesaler raised the price....
RE: Subject
http://toolseeker.com /
is your friend.
Lew
Edward Hennessey wrote:

You mean you have to pay attention when you buy something online?
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Yep. As Abraham Lincoln once said: "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." (Hat Tip to Clayton Cramer)
Edward Hennessey wrote:

And that ain't all. Amazon is associated with 'TRS Recovery Services' which is an organized crime extortion ring.
Beware!
--Winston
In spewed forth:

not to mention that if you buy something and the price drops within a few days they won't honor a credit like so many others do.
Post-Order Price Match Policy
With the exception of TVs, we do not offer post-order price matching when an item's price drops after you buy it. Our prices regularly change, and the price you paid when your order shipped was the lowest price we were able to offer at the time. We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry because we know low prices are very important to our customers.
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:22:43 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"

I bought a Bosch Multi-X from Lowes for $129 on Black Friday, with a free 12V driver. Amazon wanted $179 for the Multi-X alone. I don't believe anyone ever said that Amazon was *always* the cheapest. They did beat the crap out of everyone else on my Unisaw, though.

Again, not surprising. Likely from a different e-tailer, through Amazon.

Software isn't perfect. Who wudda thunk.