Air nailers

I have several air nailers and staplers that don't get much use. As a result they get "gunked" up from non-use. What's a good solvent for cleaning them?
Max

Kerosene or mineral spirits work well if you disassemble to tool. I don't think I'd run it through an assembled tool.
Good air tool oil shouldn't gunk up. Are you using 3in1 by any chance?

Bostitch air tool oil.
Max
The only lubrication that I use is air tool oil, available at home centers and commercial framing contractor supply houses. Never use anything else. No gunk that I have found, just sawdust.

Max Sometimes the source of the "gunk" is not the oil, but the compressor tank. Do you regularly purge the air from the tank and remove the water & stuff. This lovely fluid mix can start to rot out a tank and is sent via the air hose to the tool. You can buy filters and such to clean it up prior to going to the tool. Most folks have smaller compressors that do not have filters. All the more of a reason to get the "fluid" out of the tank. Where does the fluid come from. Simply moisture in the air. Some commercial compressors have a "dyer" to extract some of the airborne moisture out. They basically are nothing more than fancy heaters. They do prolong the life of the tank and any airlines used to send the compressed air around the system. One last final thought. Does your air supply have a "automatic" oiler? some of these oilers can be set to inject too much oil. That can also "gunk" up the tools. Good luck
Paul

"goaway" wrote

I use inline oilers. They're probably allowing too much oil to get to the tool. I have an inline filter between the compressor and my distribution system.
Max

wd 40 works good here, so does k1