Air Brush

Page 1 of 2
It's been several years since I've owned an air brush, the type for fine detail work on models, etc. I want to purchase one to see how well it will paint the train cars I'm making and the doll houses my wife thinks I'm making. I currently have a 25 gal compressor which I hope to use with the gun.
The previous air brush that I owned was a Sears or craftsman. What are the better brands in this day and age? Can some airbushes only handle certain types of paint? I'll likely be using latex and other types of finishes.
Google, here I come.
Have you looked at Critter?

Badger, Paasche are good brands, although there are other good ones around as well. That can handle most paints as long as they are thinned down a bit.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System - Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench ------------------------------------------------------------

i have an aztek i got off ebay. if you hurry and have a michaels craft store near you, they're discontinuing the top of the line aztek for $60. list is around $160.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

around
depends on what you're going to shoot. i use mine for spraying glass enamels, powdered mica, etc. the paasche doesn't work as well as the aztek 4709, which is also a double action rather than single.
also, the aztek is made by testors. comes with a lifetime (your's, not the gun's) guarantee. if it ever doesn't work, they rebuild it for free.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

me
required
airbrush.
I second the motion. My Badger 150 is 20 years old and still good as new. Not sure it can spray latex, though. -- Ernie
I've read a lot of pages about the badger line and it seems like a good make. Can't find dittly on reviews of airbrushes though. I'll likely get the 150 from badger.
Here's the next question. With the fine detail work I might be doing, what size tip would I need? Anything wrong in getting all three? :)
Ernie Jurick wrote:

Try this group. They have a huge number of airbrush-related topics. I think you'll have to register, but you might want to anyway since this is right up your alley. http://www.finescale.com/fsm/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID712 -- Ernie
pixelated:

Have you asked over on the alt.airbrush.art newsgroup? You'll probably find guys with a dozen extra guns you can pick up for (comparatively) dirt cheap.

Additional tips would be very handy.
More sources: https://www.airbrushaction.com/index2.html How-To's, workshops http://www.airbrushartmagazine.com http://www.howtoairbrush.com/gary.htm
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
DUH! For some reason I looked up models for newsgroups and didn't think to look up airbrush! Thanks. I'll post the same over there.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Be wary of used airbrushes, though. Larry is right in that there are lots available second-hand. But it can be very frustrating not knowing whether the brush is not working properly or if your technique is at fault. With a new one you can generally be sure that it's working properly, and you have recourse to a replacement if it's defective. And the manufacturer will tell you up front whether it's appropriate for latex or other media. -- Ernie
pixelated:

If you're buying a used gun, the owner should have some medium you can spray through it or they can easily show you that it will work with the medium you want if you take some of it along with you for the "buy".
As always, buy smart by thinking it out ahead of time and asking the right questions. "Learn about the item and skill you wish to pursue before you buy." is a good principle.
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
pixelated:

Jewelcome.
-C-less "JOAT-for-the-day" Jake.
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Go to www.badger-airbrush.com and click on garage sale. They have a slew of leftovers from an order change in mid production from the Revell company; the airbrush is front end badger 150 and back end vega 2000. I own one. It's $30 NEW.
But,,,,, being as I know a thing or two about airbushes.(I airbrush for a living)..... I like vegas. They're nice, they're light, thin, and not too pricey. If your personal preference is for a badger 150, go for the garage sale airbrush. It paints the same.
And......for the next time you let paint dry inside the brush: soak it in lacquer thinner overnight and then clean it. I got a couple used brushes on ebay that had that problem. Lacquer thinner took care of it for me.
In addition......good airbrush info places:
www.airbrushonline.com www.westcoastairbrush.com www.dixieart.com (store with cheap prices)
- Becky

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:13:54 GMT, "Rebecca Dodge"

I tried that, but the page is not written in standard HTML. It requires JavaScript, Active-X and something called shockwaveflash, whatever that is. I saw a reference to the garage sale in the source, but no URL linked to it that I could paste into the browser.
All in all, it's a useless page. Apparently they don't need any of my business.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
hmmmm...........
Well, here's the website...
http://www.badger-airbrush.com/garagesale.htm
maybe it will work.......? Just tryin to help.
- Becky
says...

slew of

company;
It's
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEMEalltel.net says...

Yes it did - thanks. Sure are a lot of "sold out" signs :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

There's a rumor that they're finally in place and will be discovered in September. -- Ernie

and we never landed on the moon?
dave
Ernie Jurick wrote:

Ernie Jurick wrote:

I third it. Badger makes a good, simple airbrush.
I killed my 150 though. I screwed up and let paint dry in it. I tried all manner of solvents to no avail.
I found that for what *I* use an airbrush for (as a miniature spray gun for shooting one solid color onto train models), a cheap, simple external mix was the way to go, so I bought one of those (also a Badger.) In truth, it's been sitting in the box ever since. I never tried it out. I bought it at right about the time I realized that my around-the-room layout was never going to get built while I still had expensive children in the house, so I packed it up along with all my other high-dollar dongles, to be dragged out some day when I have money to burn.
Model railroading is an *expensive* hobby.
Anyway, someone else suggested Iwata. I have one of those too, and it's a good airbrush. I find it rather too delicate for my fumble-fingered hands. The needle is extremely fine, and very easy to bend. The air fitting on the thing is some weird size too, and I don't currently have a compressor that can drive it. Having used both though, I definitely preferred the Badger. Not as elegant, but tougher.