advice on new vehicle

I think the Element is ugly too, plus with all the plastic inside it feels cheap. But it has its purposes--very large cargo space and it looks like it can be hosed down inside. I bought my Toyota Tundra because of its reliability and expected repair record, but I do think it is not the best-looking truck.

The variance of opinion on the Scion vs. the Element is pretty interesting. Who likes what doesn't line up with what I would expect at all.
And my youngest owns and loves an Element. His mother thinks it's an ugly vehicle, though.
Patriarch, not making his son's car payments...

Yeah; I remember my reaction when I first saw one, "What the heck is THAT??"
Promise me two things: Don't go sit in one and notice all the ROOM inside. And don't go test drive one and see how nicely it drives.
Don't blame ME if you wind up buying one after doing the above. Tha's why I'm driving mine!
-D
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

OK, I promise. I'm not sure I could live with myself if I owned a practical, sensible vehicle. If I did buy one, it would have to be yellow. Seems like a lot of small businesses buy them because they make such a good billboard with the flat sides.
"Edwin Pawlowski" snip

nconventional - The people that have them, love them, and as far as I'm concerned, God love 'em!
Dave

Although much less economical, you could say the same about the Ridgeline. Does Honda have any actual designers, or do they draw their designs on an Etch-A-Sketch? Subaru often suffers from the same affliction. Great features, well made, but UGLY!
I know of many homeowners with quad cab 4x4 trucks that get used as family cars, where the Ridgeline would be a better handing alternative to the truck. These are the folks who tow nothing, make small trips to the warehouse club and home center, and only buy 4wd for the occasional snow storm. The RL's got AWD for the snow and ALL conditions, independent suspension for great handling, and a 5 foot plastic bed.
I drove a RL and was super impressed with it, but ended up with a Tacoma because I didn't want a quad cab, needed to install a ladder rack, and wanted a minimum 6' bed.
Thu, Aug 24, 2006, 10:56am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dwolf) doth need someone to tell him what to do: At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily use.. Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit.. I'm toying with buying something else.. <snip>
No prob.
If you want luxury, go with something like this.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/390.jpg
If you want economy, go with something like this.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/CubanSUV.jpg
If you're just a really cheap bastard, this is your choice.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Man_of_the_Year.jpg
But, if you're a "real" man, this is it.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Manoftheyear2.jpg
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.
damm.... love them all !!!
(dwolf) doth need someone to tell him what to do: At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily use.. Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit.. I'm toying with buying something else.. <snip>
No prob.
If you want luxury, go with something like this.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/390.jpg
If you want economy, go with something like this.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/CubanSUV.jpg
If you're just a really cheap bastard, this is your choice.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Man_of_the_Year.jpg
But, if you're a "real" man, this is it.
http://www.redcoat.net/pics/Manoftheyear2.jpg
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Just make sure you get a vehicle that's big enough for your needs -- you use less gas making one trip in a truck that gets 16mpg than you do making two trips in something that gets 25mpg. Not to mention the value of your time for those trips...
I'm using a Chevy Suburban. It's good for about 16mpg in combined city/highway driving. And I rarely have to make two trips. It holds a *lot* of stuff. Just used it yesterday to haul #1 son off to college for the first time. Had SWMBO & me up front, son in back, other half of the back seat folded down, and all his stuff in the cargo area with room to spare. In a smaller truck like an S-10, it would have been two trips -- with the three of us crammed into one too-small bench seat up front.
I like my Burb. Even if I cry every time I fill the gas tank.
--
Regards,

you got some good comments and some goofy comments. I'll add to the goofy. My retirement (30 years in the U.S. Navy) gift is a '06 Mercedes SLK350. Sucks for hauling sheetgoods, rough lumber, or a 1 pound box of woodscrews... but it is pretty and I deserve it. I also recommend it, just for fun. I need a bumper sticker that says" my other cars are a 2003 Mazda Protege and a 1990 Mitsubishi MightyMax" http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=SLK350 Jack
dwolf wrote:

I have a Mini Cooper S, ~ 30MPG and a ton of fun. I can fit 8' studs in it. Can't do a 4x8, but never really need to, and if I do I have it delivered. Sounds like you use your pickup for a work truck, so you probably need it. But the funny thing is how many people I know that drive these 12-18 MPG pickup trucks that probably REALLY need them 3-4 times a year. Can't tell you how many I ask "when was the last time you carried something I couldn't" that give me a blank look. Sort of a pet peeve of mine, drives me nuts commuting to work everyday surrounded buy these monsters, always empty, and most are going to office jobs. In fact I'm starting to see more and more women driving them. And why is it the bigger the truck, the shorter the driver?
But enough of my rant...;+}

My ranger gets 24MPG. Not too shabby. No A/C, No Power windows, no fancy leather seats, but it hauls just fine; and a perfect commuter vehicle.
scott

Toyota Highlander Hybrid...and a $800 costco trailer :)
Great mileage, and lots of power. 30+ mpg on a Canadian gallon (about 27 mpg us)
Been driving a 95 GMC Safari small van, Vortech V-6......it tolled over a quarter million miles until it finally started showing signs of its age, and breaking down........about 24 mpg with the overdrive trans, enuff guts to pull a loaded utility trailer full of lumber....I would buy another one of these again in a heart beat.
You can slide in 4' x 8' sheet goods with a lil wiggling around, and if you stack your lumber between the 2 front seats, if memory serves you can get 10'+ lumber inside with the doors closed.
My other pick of the litter is the 4 cylinder Isuzu pick up truck. We had one of those, and unfortunately had to get rid of it when a spinal injury prevented the wife from driving a standard trans anymore. Well, the fella that bought it from us for $1200 has driven it steadily with no problems other than lifter seals and general maintanance since '93, he now has it up for sale for $1200 ( and will no doubt get it) this lil truck has over a half million miles on it! My 2 cents Steve