advice on new vehicle

Ray,

FYI, when my wife got a new car we kept her old '97 Dodge Grand Caravan for picking up lumber and sheet goods (and tailgating). The inside dimensions are exactly 4' between the rear wheel wells and 8' from the back of the front seats to the inside of the back door (with the other seats out--fairly easy). I have picked up 10 sheets of 3/4" ply with the door closed. Pretty sweet.

Dave

Reply to
David Bridgeman

I have a Mini Cooper S, ~ 30MPG and a ton of fun. I can fit 8' studs in it. Can't do a 4x8, but never really need to, and if I do I have it delivered. Sounds like you use your pickup for a work truck, so you probably need it. But the funny thing is how many people I know that drive these 12-18 MPG pickup trucks that probably REALLY need them 3-4 times a year. Can't tell you how many I ask "when was the last time you carried something I couldn't" that give me a blank look. Sort of a pet peeve of mine, drives me nuts commuting to work everyday surrounded buy these monsters, always empty, and most are going to office jobs. In fact I'm starting to see more and more women driving them. And why is it the bigger the truck, the shorter the driver?

But enough of my rant...;+}

Reply to
jtpr

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most practical and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly, unlike the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's not UGLY, that's BFU.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think the Element is ugly too, plus with all the plastic inside it feels cheap. But it has its purposes--very large cargo space and it looks like it can be hosed down inside. I bought my Toyota Tundra because of its reliability and expected repair record, but I do think it is not the best-looking truck.

Reply to
Phisherman

Toyota Highlander Hybrid...and a $800 costco trailer :)

Great mileage, and lots of power. 30+ mpg on a Canadian gallon (about 27 mpg us)

Reply to
Rob Lee

My ranger gets 24MPG. Not too shabby. No A/C, No Power windows, no fancy leather seats, but it hauls just fine; and a perfect commuter vehicle.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:4hGHg.18$p23.5@trnddc04:

The variance of opinion on the Scion vs. the Element is pretty interesting. Who likes what doesn't line up with what I would expect at all.

And my youngest owns and loves an Element. His mother thinks it's an ugly vehicle, though.

Patriarch, not making his son's car payments...

Reply to
Patriarch

Because "Edwin Pawlowski" could, he/she/it opin'd:

Yeah; I remember my reaction when I first saw one, "What the heck is THAT??"

Promise me two things: Don't go sit in one and notice all the ROOM inside. And don't go test drive one and see how nicely it drives.

Don't blame ME if you wind up buying one after doing the above. Tha's why I'm driving mine!

-D

Reply to
Don Fearn

Because Lew Hodgett could, he/she/it opin'd:

BFU:

BFU Bau Furniersperrholz BFU Burst Forming Units BFU Biologisk Fagudvalg BFU Body Fly University BFU Brussels Free Universities BFU Beijing Forestry University BFU Biologisk Fagutvalg BFU Blue Fluorescent BFU Block Floating Units BFU Brush Fire Unit BFU Bundesstelle Fur BFU Blindingly Fast Update BFU Bicycle Facilities Unit BFU Basic Functional Units BFU Benjamin Franklin University BFU Blue Forming Unit BFU Brussels Free University BFU Bit Field Units

Hmmmmm . . . none of it makes any sense.

Oh well, it's still an FLC (FINE Little Car)!

-D

Reply to
Don Fearn

"Edwin Pawlowski" snip

Hey! I sell them! Although some think the look is a touch nconventional - The people that have them, love them, and as far as I'm concerned, God love 'em!

Dave

Teamcasa

Although much less economical, you could say the same about the Ridgeline. Does Honda have any actual designers, or do they draw their designs on an Etch-A-Sketch? Subaru often suffers from the same affliction. Great features, well made, but UGLY!

I know of many homeowners with quad cab 4x4 trucks that get used as family cars, where the Ridgeline would be a better handing alternative to the truck. These are the folks who tow nothing, make small trips to the warehouse club and home center, and only buy 4wd for the occasional snow storm. The RL's got AWD for the snow and ALL conditions, independent suspension for great handling, and a 5 foot plastic bed.

I drove a RL and was super impressed with it, but ended up with a Tacoma because I didn't want a quad cab, needed to install a ladder rack, and wanted a minimum 6' bed.

Reply to
Bonehenge

OK, I promise. I'm not sure I could live with myself if I owned a practical, sensible vehicle. If I did buy one, it would have to be yellow. Seems like a lot of small businesses buy them because they make such a good billboard with the flat sides.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Been driving a 95 GMC Safari small van, Vortech V-6......it tolled over a quarter million miles until it finally started showing signs of its age, and breaking down........about 24 mpg with the overdrive trans, enuff guts to pull a loaded utility trailer full of lumber....I would buy another one of these again in a heart beat.

You can slide in 4' x 8' sheet goods with a lil wiggling around, and if you stack your lumber between the 2 front seats, if memory serves you can get 10'+ lumber inside with the doors closed.

My other pick of the litter is the 4 cylinder Isuzu pick up truck. We had one of those, and unfortunately had to get rid of it when a spinal injury prevented the wife from driving a standard trans anymore. Well, the fella that bought it from us for $1200 has driven it steadily with no problems other than lifter seals and general maintanance since '93, he now has it up for sale for $1200 ( and will no doubt get it) this lil truck has over a half million miles on it! My 2 cents Steve

Reply to
steve