advice on new vehicle

At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily use.. Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit.. I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a lot.. So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

Reply to
dwolf

There is no replacement for a pick-up. I love my Chevrolet CCDually 4x6 Diesel.

Dave Afterall, I am a Chevrolet and Honda Dealer so eitherway - I like your choices.

Teamcasa

What if you need sheet goods? Are you going to let it hang out the back?

I have a 4WD Sierra with the small V8 and I'm getting about 17mpg as a daily driver.

with a pickup, you'll always have plenty of friends.

Reply to
RayV

"RayV" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I like my 1999 Sierra, 2wd 3 door, with the small V8. 18-20 mpg with a shell over the back. It's my third or fourth, depending on how one counts...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I used to have a Honda Civic 83. When I needed sheets of ply I rented a truck for the weekend. Now I have a new Tundra, not good on gas mileage but I drive very little.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've got a '92 Taurus station wagon.. the Least Stolen Car In America (tm). Sheet goods go up on the roof; everything else goes inside. With the back seat folded down I can get an amazing amount of crap inside. It still looks and runs pretty well... my dad gave it to me for a Lowesmobile.

29 MPG. I doubt there's a van or pickup on the planet that can match that.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
dwolf

My father is a contractor and he drives an old toyota cargo minivan. It's not quite wide enough for sheet goods on the floor, but it bulges out a bit so he built a raised platform level with the wider area. There is storage under the platform.

He's in vancouver where it rains a lot, so it's nice to have it fully enclosed.

I drive a Matrix, which is fine for everything but sheet goods (will take 8' lumber with the hatch closed).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

They say you can tell alot about a person by the car/truck they drive. ;~}

Dave

Teamcasa

A cut below where you are at right now, a Toyota Tacoma, 4 Cyl, 5 Spd stick with a lockable flat top cover over the bed and a liner from SnugTop.

Average 25 MPG minimum in SoCal traffic.

Have 110,000 miles on it.

A tuneup and front brakes at 90,000, a battery and some rubber including wiper blades, along the way.

Other than oil and filters, that's been it.

Fully expect another 250,000 miles before end of life.

Sheet goods stick out the back, that's why red flags and bungee cords exist.

It was interesting carrying 16 ft, 2x4s from the lumber yard to the boat yard, but all went well.

Since I'm mostly by myself, serves my needs well.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hey, I only drive it to and from the Borg or if it's raining. The rest of the time I drive my 2000 Taurus sedan.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I have an '86 Nissan Std cab p/u. 4 cyl, 5 spd, about 150K on it now. It's fairly cheap to maintain, carries odd/oversize stuff well and it's paid for. Insurance is cheap since it'smy 2nd vehicle (other is a Jeep Cherokee). It was my daily driver until a few years ago when I bought the Jeep. I don't know what I'd do without it..

Reply to
Saudade

G'day all, I drive a Toyota Hilux 4 cyl 1988 model ute. Has an 8' x 6' x 1' Aluminium tray. Bought it about 6 years ago for $2000.00. It was fitted for LPG. Don't know what mileage it gets but it's been a pearler of a vehicle. Not flash but it keeps on going and is bloody cheap to run. The only thing I have had done to it is had the clutch plate and thrust bearing replaced about 3 years ago. Currently needs a gasket replaced on the carby, so one day when I have nothing better to do I'll get around to that.

Regards John

Reply to
John B

Because "dwolf" could, he/she/it opin'd:

Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.

I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what doesn't will go on the rack.

And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not riding a motorcycle).

-Don (hip to be square in Rochester, MN)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Thu, Aug 24, 2006, 10:56am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dwolf) doth need someone to tell him what to do: At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily use.. Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit.. I'm toying with buying something else..

No prob.

If you want luxury, go with something like this.

If you want economy, go with something like this.
=A0If you're just a really cheap bastard, this is your choice.
But, if you're a "real" man, this is it.
was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

No prob.

If you want luxury, go with something like this.

If you want economy, go with something like this.
If you're just a really cheap bastard, this is your choice.
But, if you're a "real" man, this is it.
was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
dwolf

Just make sure you get a vehicle that's big enough for your needs -- you use less gas making one trip in a truck that gets 16mpg than you do making two trips in something that gets 25mpg. Not to mention the value of your time for those trips...

I'm using a Chevy Suburban. It's good for about 16mpg in combined city/highway driving. And I rarely have to make two trips. It holds a *lot* of stuff. Just used it yesterday to haul #1 son off to college for the first time. Had SWMBO & me up front, son in back, other half of the back seat folded down, and all his stuff in the cargo area with room to spare. In a smaller truck like an S-10, it would have been two trips -- with the three of us crammed into one too-small bench seat up front.

I like my Burb. Even if I cry every time I fill the gas tank.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Second this! I have (well son #2 now has) a 99 Sierra Classic with the same set up. 135k on it now. Cherub #2 commutes to school in it (Houston to NC). Still a great truck. I replaced it with another GMC, but crew cab. Rides like a fancy car, but works like a truck. I like this even better than the 99 (much improved a/c system) if that is possible. Chevy/GMC man since I bought a 72 strait six, 3 on the column with 2x40 a/c (2 windows, 40mph) in 80. I have no idea how I would function without a truck. My current one may be my last.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Get a real truck. I just bought a Dodge '06 QuadCab 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and an auto tranny.

I love it. 610 ft. lbs. torque. 325 hp. The mileage doesn't level out until it has about 30k miles on it. They say the engine will outlast the power train components by about 3:1.

Costs about $100 to gas it up, but it will haul plenty.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

you got some good comments and some goofy comments. I'll add to the goofy. My retirement (30 years in the U.S. Navy) gift is a '06 Mercedes SLK350. Sucks for hauling sheetgoods, rough lumber, or a 1 pound box of woodscrews... but it is pretty and I deserve it. I also recommend it, just for fun. I need a bumper sticker that says" my other cars are a 2003 Mazda Protege and a 1990 Mitsubishi MightyMax"

jack