In case you have not bought your rolling tool boxes yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqZ32wJTRs#t
&6.113364
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 6:02:26 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

You know, I feel like I must have dozed off somewhere. I know these things have been popular among the more specialized "on site" repairmen, specialt y workers, etc. for decades. My buddy that repairs medical equipment has b een using them for 30 years, at least.
But they were never this nice, never this affordable, and never this rugged . I found this while doing some snooping around after MIKE's post about ro lling boxes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-FatMax-Tstak-Tower/1000135763
They aren't as rugged as the Ridgid, but they are still pretty sturdy and i f you were using them properly they should be great.
Are the Milwaukees out anywhere? Honestly, I would be afraid to have the r ed boxes out as it would seem to be a large blinking beacon saying "steal m e... steal me... steal me". The lease attention the better.
Robert

Those Milwalkees look incredible, but I bet they are at least twice the cost of the Ridgid. If I'm going to pay over $200 for a set, then I'm biting the bullet on the Dewalt's to get the extra features of their dolly system.
--

-MIKE-

Is Milwalkee next to Chicargo?
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 14:50:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

No north of

Whoosh, right over your head. Check the spelling.
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 18:13:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Nope but they should be built to look like a pile of bricks, camo ya know.

Because Milwalkee and Chicargo are both shit houses?
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 22:26:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Nah cause of the song!
On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 9:49:07 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote: .

Probably. And while I gladly paid a premium for Milwaukee tools for many y ears, not seeing the extra value in their products these days.

So do you work out of a pickup or van? I can see a small set of these boxe s as I could hoist them over the tailgate. But it was too bulky, I couldn' t easily do it. OTOH, if I was working out of a panel van of some sort, I could hoist it into the van and secure it along the sidewalls. Pretty slic k.
Just wondering how you are using these boxes.
Robert

I've used a minivan for years, for both drums and tools. I can fit more in the van, it's dry, smoked windows, much lower gate/door level, etc etc etc. HOWEVER, I just got a pick-up again so I can get bigger loads of supplies, easier.
I got a Ram1500 crew cab, took the back seat out, and put down 1/2" plywood on the floor. It's great, because the boxes go in there with plenty of room and I can use the seat & seat-belt anchors for tie-downs to secure the tool boxes. I can fit as many tool boxes back there as I can behind the back seat of my minivan.
Yes, it's higher and I wouldn't try lift it all up there 3-in-1 style. But i don't do that in the minivan, either. To me the dolly feature is for to and from, not so I can He-Man the entire set in and out of a vehicle. I have enough back problems.
Bigger power tools will have to go in the bed, when using the pick-up, but it's great to have the option of all those tool boxes inside the cab, behind (again) smoked windows.
--

-MIKE-

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 11:22:03 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

All good things. I have a couple of my fellow workers and a couple of subs that are using minivans and they have substantially less break in problems than us pickup drivers. I have to have a pickup to haul lumber, 5 gallon cans of mastic, and when I finish up a job it doub les as the trash truck. The vans get better gas mileage, and seem to have less maintenance requirements. But again, the biggest thing is mitigating theft.

Now that sounds like a great setup. You could drag all your tools around w ithout them being in plain sight and you could still haul materials and eve n long stuff as needed.

Right there with you. I find myself being much more in tune with the aches and pains that 40+ years in the trades are causing. I hate it, but I have to look for just about every advantage I can muster these days.
I am wondering how long all the new cargo type vans will be around. They w ere the rage, then they weren't, now they seem to be again. Mercedes, Ford and Chrysler all have their offerings, and I can't decide if that would be a good thing or not. If I locked my truck up in a secure, protected area e very night and never took it anywhere they look great. But what I drive is my only vehicle, so transportation has to pull not only work but play duty as well.
Still, the vans look sweet and I am starting to see more and more on the ro ad these days. All tradesmen, too. I hope that doesn't start another theft trend.
Robert

Yeah, the minivan is pretty theft-proof. I mean who's going to steal child seats and baby wipes, right? But those newer work vans with the low decks are very appealing but also scream, "Lots of tools to steal inside!"
--

-MIKE-

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:59:41 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Exactly. And add those atrocious stick figure family decals on it, and I would think thieves would actually >>avoid<< it!

Sadly, you are probably right. I guess I could have a "Dirty Diaper Pickup Service" magnet sign for the van, then take it off as I came to a client's house.
Robert
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 11:59:41 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

I started driving mini-vans in the mid 80's when the kids came along. They've been out of the house for close to 8 years and I still drive a mini-van. The rear bench has been folded into the floor for 99% of those 8 years. I had a moving blanket hemmed to fit the back to protect the carpets and a smaller section hemmed to fit the middle for when I take out the 2nd row seats.
Even though I've moved the kids numerous times and haulled all sorts of stuff, I've protected the interior such that my vans always look clean and neat. I love being able to just "buy stuff" when I want to with no worries about how to get it home. e.g. when I found the 2 piece hutch that I'm turning into an island, I just loaded it (carefully) into the van and brought it home.
Almost immediately after I bought my current Odyssey, I installed a hitch and tranny cooler so I can tow my trailer for bigger stuff.
Mini-vans may not be the sexiest of vehicles, but then neither am I. ;-)
On 6/23/2017 9:49 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

IIRC the video mentioned about $139.00 for the large set. I may have misunderstood.
On 6/24/17 11:41 AM, Leon wrote:

Well, that would be very competitive! I just assumed because of the name, it would be twice as much. You know, like if it was Festool, it would be 10x as much. :-)
I like how the Millwallkkey ones lock together, with with the smaller cases and bags/pouches. That's a great feature and supposedly they unlatch with one hand.
--

-MIKE-

I just ran across this while looking at the Milwaukee tape measure links.
I agree with the bright red color on a job site, LOOK over here, Take Me!

The DeWalt bumble bee scheme isn't any better.
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 7:02:26 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

What would be really cool is if they latched to the cart instead of each other so that you could take any individual box out of the stack without removing any others.
Hard to do...too much force where it would latch to the cart, but it sure would be a cool feature.