Advice on building my first cabinet project (Kitchen Island)

Page 1 of 2

I want to build a kitchen island, ~3' x4'. I am going to use a slab of granite for the top, but have some questions on the carcass.
I have lot of black cherry that came from a tree I felled and had milled on the property. I thought it would be nice to build this from that. But all the how-to's I come across regarding cabinet building refers to using plywood for the carcass. Now, I could just use cherry ply for the sides and back, then use my wood for the rest, but is this necessary? I mean, what if I glued up panels from the wood I have and used that in lieu of the plywood? Are there reasons of seasonality that dictates one use plywood?
Jim

A plywood carcass will be easy to make square and it will stay square. Use it as a skeleton to be 'dressed up' in a creative way with your cherry. Keep in mind that cherry ply won't age the same as solid cherry (or take stain....*gasp*) Considering that you want the entire cabinet to have a flawless flat horizontal plane, so that there will not be any stress points for the granite. The plywood interior will also give you a leg up on making shelves and hinge mounting easier. Look into a 32mm layout for your hinge locations.

I see. So I want to use the ply for the sides and back, then use my wood for the face, drawers, and trim.
-Jim
On 9/7/10 12:49 PM, jtpr wrote:

There's a trend running amok in all the McMansions around here in which they build kitchen islands out of base cabinets. They take a big base cabinet or two, screw them together and stick a counter top on it. Then they take cheap-@$$ molding and trim out the corners and seems. So what you end up with a face frame on 1 side and corner trim everywhere else.... an island that only looks good from one side.... kind of like Maui. :-)
Base cabinets were never meant to be seen on all 4 sides. They only reason they are passable is because they use pre-finished plywood for the cases. I *have* seen it done where they used the same wood as the face frame and trimmed it out so it looked like face frames all the way around. But those are trim carpenters on a job site using prefabbed cabinets.
If I were doing it from scratch... and I soon will be on an "isthmus" in our kitchen... I would build the whole thing with frame and panel construction.
--

-MIKE-

*gag* I know. Have they no shame?
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:07:59 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

In a McMansion, shame is a _given_.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
(snip)
I see. So I want to use the ply for the sides and back, then use my wood for the face, drawers, and trim.
-Jim
A few years ago I built a kitchen island. I believe it was someone in this group who told me to use 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for my panels. That way when they get bump they don't seem hollow like 1/4" plywood does. I followed the advice and it made a huge difference.
When I saw your post that hint popped into my head.
Larry C
On 9/7/2010 1:49 PM, jtpr wrote:

That is what I did. Used Cheery ply for the carcass and trimmed out with cherry for the face frame, drawer fronts on one side and false fronts on the other. Used maple for the cutting board and solid surface for the top. Took about 6 months to complete.
You can see the result at URL: http://pws.prserv.net/poetry/KitchenIsland01.html
Marty
Thanks for the images. How well does that slide out on the cutting board hold up long term? I'd be a little worried about using a cleaver on frozen meat there.
--

Marty < snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net> wrote in news:SYyho.60890$co1.21914
@newsfe11.iad:

This sounds like a really cool project. You could build the whole thing as frame and panel. This is how case work (dressers, amoire, etc.) are built. The concept would be to make some nice beefy legs at the corners and build some nice panels. I would use like 1/2" panles so you could glue up 3/4 panels and find a shop with a wide belt sander to let you flatten and dimension them. Try to select a common width, say 12" max for all panels so you can just glue up a bunch of appropriate stock. them.
See these (this) example
http://plansnow.com/dn1134c.html http://www.thefind.com/furniture/info-kitchen-island-woodworking-plans
I mean, what if I glued up panels from the wood I have and

Frame and panel construction accounts for the seasonality of panel movement if built properly. Second reason to go with panels is I don't belive you will ever find plywood to match well with your homwgrown wood, maybe but not very likely.

Jim
Just a curiosity but what are the dimensions of the largest boards from your cherry tree?
Bob AZ
Bob AZ wrote:

we have 2 penninsulas in my kitchen. the cabinet maker made simple boxes, then skinned all visible faces with raised panels that matched the profiles of the doors.

So he made the boxes from ply, and then put the raised panels over the ply?
-Jim
On 9/7/10 3:23 PM, jtpr wrote:

I'm thinking the same thing. Like putting a pick-up truck bed in your pick-up truck bed as a bed liner.
--

-MIKE-

That works, but why not make functioning doors, if you go to the effort of making doors?
--
Jim in NC

On 9/7/10 4:51 PM, Morgans wrote:

You're preaching to the choir. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Is there anything more amazing than a large group of voices that know what they're doing? One year (the year the first shuttle went up) I was walking near the open windows of The Chapel at Cambridge (University) when I suddenly heard a few random human voices doing scales. The voices formed around a common song and many other voices fell in and a kaleidoscope of sound emanated from the open windows and hit me with both a warming and chilling experience I shall never forget. The Choir of King's College was practicing. One of the few warm April mornings and then this. I could have died right then and there. You can't buy shit like that. We punted the river Cam and nothing I could do to ever lose that sound. That experience messes with my head.....to this very day. No wonder I like harmonies so much. Everly Brothers, Peter & Gordon, Mamas and The Papas, CSNY, Hollies....shit, I could go on and on. . . . Talk about going off on a tangent....
I could have died right then and there. You can't buy shit like that. We punted the river Cam and nothing I could do to ever lose that sound. That experience messes with my head.....to this very day. No wonder I like harmonies so much. Everly Brothers, Peter & Gordon, Mamas and The Papas, CSNY, Hollies....shit, I could go on and on. . . . Talk about going off on a tangent.... *********************************
There can be no doubt that plenty synapsises firing, but..... Which one started _that_ revolution? <g>
--
Jim in NC

jtpr wrote:

yes. i'm not sure how the panels are attached to the boxes though, as i only saw the install rather than the building. i'm assuming glue because there are no screw holes on the interiors.
they are a lot heavier than usual, though, due to this construction method.
our island is made the same way. full size deep pot drawers on one side facing the stove, cabinet doors for small appliances on the other, with wide but shallow drawers above for rolling pins, and both ends have raised panels.