adhesive-backed measuring tape inaccuracies

Page 2 of 2
On 4/19/2014 11:54 AM, tdacon wrote:

Again on their steel rules, I would have thought the accuracy to be more like 1/128 per foot. You are saying 1/64.. that's not what I would expect.
--
Jeff

Oh yeah, their precision steel rules actually give you something like 0.005. The guy was basically telling me that they didn't have anything between 1/32 and the specs of the steel rule. So if what I wanted was 1/64, then that would be where I'd have to go.
But you know, I'm good with what I've got. I've moved on to another project, which is refurbishing a battered old Craftsman wood lathe that a friend and I bought cheap to try our hands at woodturning. Got the castings in primer this afternoon, and the bench is underway - as inspiration we're starting with the "bench in a weekend" feature from the most recent Fine Woodworking Tools and Shop issue, because we can build it fast and cheap from dimensional lumber.
Tom

Maybe this is something people should query from www.veritastools.ca? I had a quick look on their website and there weren't any Veritas made rules. They have the machinery, technology and skill to make a line of decent rules, but instead have chosen to stock Starrett.

Starrett is a solid name recognized around the world. Probably much easier to sell than their own name. I know I recently acquired a bunch of precision measuring tools that my grandfather used as a working machinist before WWII. Most of it is Starrett, with just a couple things made by Brown & Sharp. I don't have any way to test the indicators, but most of the micrometers tested to the standards so close I couldn't see the offset of the line.