Measuring tape repair

I borrowed a 100ft measuring tape off a mate but I'm now embarrassed 'cos w hen it was fully extended I accidentally pulled the end out of the case! I now want to get it back and wind it up but I cannot find a way to open the case or find a way to poke the end back in and hook it up to the central s pindle.

It's a Fisco Meteor 30m/110ft MT30/14 (not sure what these letters and numb ers mean. Case diameter is approx 125mm and 16mm thick. There's a silver ba nd round the circumference but it's on tight and doesn't seem inclined to m ove. I was hoping it would reveal the split between the 2 halves of the cas e and perhaps give me a clue about it's construction.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone any ideas?

Pete

Reply to
petek

it was fully extended I accidentally pulled the end out of the case! I now want to get it back and wind it up but I cannot find a way to open the case or find a way to poke the end back in and hook it up to the central spindle.

mean. Case diameter is approx 125mm and 16mm thick. There's a silver band round the circumference but it's on tight and doesn't seem inclined to move. I was hoping it would reveal the split between the 2 halves of the case and perhaps give me a clue about it's construction.

Post a picture, but probably the centre bit with the winder or the other side will unscrew and allow access.

Reply to
F Murtz

Claim on insurance but then I bet there is a hefty excess.

Has it got a central fixing maybe?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for your comments Guys but I'm struggling to get some pics for you. I have uploaded them to tinypic but I don't understand how to get a link on here.

Reply to
petek

open tinypic, upload pictures. When they're up on screen, copy the url by highlighting it with the mouse, right click>copy. come here and open a reply to this thread, right click> paste

Reply to
Phil L

Hope I have done this correctly and you can see them. If you can, you will see that there is no central screw on the spindle on either side, so there must be another way of opening the case - or is it sealed permanently?

Reply to
petek

I think it's probably held together with the steel band around it's outer casing. There appears to be a cover where the tape enters/ exits the housing, there must be retaining screws under that for this steel band

Reply to
Phil L

My thoughts exactly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

From a manufacturing point of view, it would be far simpler just to press the tape exit assembly into the case and to use that to lock the band in place permanently. It is not as if most people have a good reason to disassemble a tape measure.

I suspect that, even if the OP does manage to get the case open, there will be something broken inside and, even if that can be repaired, resealing the case will not be simple. It is probably time to find out how much a replacement costs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

About 18 according to google