A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

Page 1 of 3
Many years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey, and before the advent of the big box home improvement centers there were independently owned hardware stores ( which have been discussed previously on this NG ). They generally had creaky wooden floors, gray haired clerks who knew the location and names of a lot of arcane hardware, and a lot of bins which housed bulk items, not much blister packaging.They had a scale and weighed out nails by the pound.
One of these had a sign hung behind the counter informing all that this was the store of "two wonders". First you wonder if we have it, then we wonder if we can find it.
Another shop of that era sold antiques. Its sign proclaimed it was the shop of the three "don'ts". Don't bring in your children, don't bring in your dog and don't tell us your grandmother threw this thing out. I don't know if many years into the future people will have any fond memories of the current crop of home centers.
Joe G

These stores still exist in Texas, all over the place. I wish the glass Coke bottle would come back as a normal way of distribution.
Leon wrote:

Its back. I saw some glass 8oz. semi traditionally shaped bottles at Kroger's in Indianapolis
--
Keith Nuttle
3110 Marquette Court

Yeah, you have always been able to get the glass bottles in Houston, FOR A PRICE. I would like to see them come back main stream with the 3 cent deposit and all. There is nothing quite like drinking a soft drink out of a glass bottle and especially when it is frozen.
People would think it tastes funny without the aluminum.

*trim: Soda-pop's containers*

They're apparently not missing the aluminum much drinking out of plastic bottles.
Puckdropper

SNIP

Wow... now there's memory. I remember pulling out iced sodas from a metal chest that had the kids beverages on one side, and the old fashioned squatty beer bottles on the other.
Cokes in those days were made with sugar, and they had a sharper bite to them. Now (and for quite some time) they have been made with corn syrup (or one of its relatives) and the tasted isn't near as sharp.
However, down south here, we can still get the bottled-in- Mexico- Cokes, in the tall green bottle with the tin cap, made with sugar. I can't tell you how many people I have bought those for to help them remember what Coke tasted like 20-25 years ago.
Robert

IIRC Falstaff and Schlitz were in those "Snuff" style bottles. LOL
Do you remember or did you ever pierce the bottle cap with an ice pick and let the drink jet spray into your mouth?
Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 2:12pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) dith writeth: <snip> Do you remember or did you ever pierce the bottle cap with an ice pick and let the drink jet spray into your mouth?
Neither. But I remember buying beer by the case, and asking for a church key to go with it. And on occassion opening bottles on a car bumper or door hings. Or, if out in a boat, prying the tops off with pliers. That's all before screw off caps. Or cans needing an opener. Used a knife if no opener available, on occassion an ax or hatchet.
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool
Leon wrote:
> IIRC Falstaff and Schlitz were in those "Snuff" style bottles. LOL
Back in the late 70s when the Aussie who owned G Heilman was buying up local breweries around the country to get the brand name.
He then started selling beer in those brown, "squatty body", throw away glass bottles.
Even bottled Carling Red Cap Ale in green bottles.
Probably at least a couple of dozen brands that were bottled that way.
My guess is that most of the Heilman owned brands came out of the same vat.
Lew

It was common for beer bottles to be recycled and the competitions labels cleaned off. Beer bottlers did not care whose bottle they used, at least Lone Star did not care.
Leon wrote:
> It was common for beer bottles to be recycled and the competitions labels > cleaned off. Beer bottlers did not care whose bottle they used, at least > Lone Star did not care.
"Squatty Bodies" are strictly throw away, single use bottles.
SFWIW, it is usually lower cost to recycle bottles that it is to clean them.
Have a customer who converts old bottles into cullet, then melts and blows new bottles.
Quite common in food packaging such as catsup, to blow the bottle on the line, then fill it with product since the bottle is still sterile.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Remember the late 40's early 50's "squatty" beer cans (Falstaff comes to mind) ... a ubiquitous, at the time, .22 practice target, short of turtles.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:
> Remember the late 40's early 50's "squatty" beer cans (Falstaff comes to > mind) ... a ubiquitous, at the time, .22 practice target, short of turtles.
Nope.
Must have been a regional thing.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Don't think so ... they were apparently called "conetops" although I don't remember that, being a bit too young to do anything but shoot at them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Falstaff-12-Ounce-Cone-Top-Beer-Can_W0QQitemZ330094025081QQcategoryZ3916QQcmdZViewItem
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:
> > Don't think so ... they were apparently called "conetops" although I don't > remember that, being a bit too young to do anything but shoot at them: > > http://cgi.ebay.com/Falstaff-12-Ounce-Cone-Top-Beer-Can_W0QQitemZ330094025081QQcategoryZ3916QQcmdZViewItem
Ah Ha, the brake fluid can.
Never saw any of them used for beer when I was a kid.
Lew
Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 1:03pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth query: Remember the late 40's early 50's "squatty" beer cans (Falstaff comes to mind) ... a ubiquitous, at the time, .22 practice target, short of turtles.
Yup. Black Label comes to mind. Falstaff should be labled toxic. Saw some cans in a store the other day, but didn't see if they were soda or beer. Maybe they're making a comeback. Handy, I guess, if you only want a few swallows, not a whole beer.
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool

I remember early sixties (1 or 2) and watching the old black and white TV with the football games on, and Hamms beer was the sponsor. "From the land of sky blue water - Hamm"s". I always thought the cartoon Indian in a canoe was funny. My grandfather drank Hamm's when my Dad brought it to him, but otherwise his taste ran to whatever was cold.
All they had were tin cans and a church key. No squatties, just yet. They used to take me to the bar where they did have bottles, and they would order a beers, and "a beer for the boy".

Naw, too much excitement for me! I would have probably shot it up my nose.
Robert

Well that was part of the learning curve. ;~) I grew up in Corpus Christi and no one down there pierced the top with an ice pick but in Charlotte TX, about 50 miles south of SA, about 5 miles SW of Jourdanton it was all the rage with all my cousins.
Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 1:26am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth sayeth: <snip> the old fashioned squatty beer bottles on the other. <snip>
The long necked bottles had better tasting beer. There's a song about that too, "Red Necks, Long Necks, And Lone Star Beer".