A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

more popular for its intention, tortillas de maiz due to it being significantly more healthy than its counterpart, tortillas de harina (flour).

It is slaked cornmeal, not meant for frying.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Don' know about the beer bottles, but I remember that phrase as "red necks, white sox, and Blue Ribbon beer." See how that incorporates the red, white, and blue? I remember it as an anthemn for Southern lads.

Reply to
LRod

Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 2:18pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth query: What? No frogs? Survival food.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Wed, Mar 14, 2007, 1:02am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lew=A0Hodgett) doth sayeth: You missed it, used a fly rod or a cane pole with an artificial fly. More frogs, less work.

Small piece of white or red rag. You can get a frog to jump 2-3 feet straight up.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Spent a summer on my grandparents farm in WV a long, long time ago. The trick was to swat a bumble bee and stun it. Put him on the hook. Walk a few feet over to the pond and drop the bumblebee into the water. He'd revive and start buzzing. Pull the frog out and walk over to a tree. Swing the frog into the trunk. Place in bucket. When you've got a half-dozen each, it's time to go fishing (down in the New River Gorge) in earnest. ;-)

I'm a vegetarian now.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

How would you put it on a hook and not kill it?...or without at least a temporary reaction resulting in a sting? Are you putting me on? Bill? Tell me you're kidding us?

*shudders* (hates bee-like buzzing things)
Reply to
Robatoy

I don't know the answer but hooking the bait does not always kill it. Think of fishing worms and live shrimp.

Reply to
Leon

I haven't seen Robatoy's full post ... your response arrived before his did. To be honest, that was 45+ years ago. I think we hooked them through the thorax but I really don't recall. You hold them, IIRC, with their legs down and bring the hook up through. IIRC, sometimes they DID revive too soon. Some lived to fly away. Once in a great while, one was able to sting ... but if you held them right, that didn't happen often. (I don't recall any of us holding them wrong more than once!) That is probably as much my imagination as it is my recollection ... maybe more. I -can- recall a cousin getting stung but ISTR that he had tried to pick up one that was already reviving and couldn't get a proper grip on it in time. Occupational hazard.

The frogs weren't dead, just injured. They would bleed in the water but couldn't swim very well. Nature kicked it. The fish would pick off the weak one and the boy would pick off the gullible one.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL

..like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL.. Better'n live Rattlesnake.

Reply to
Leon

Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for bait?"

Reply to
Robatoy

Sure. Frogs got no sense of humor. Live bees sass the frogs. What happens next is not pretty.

Once you stun the bees, you have several seconds before they shake it off.

When you pick it up, hold the wings pinned to its body and do your thing with the hook. He who hesitates is lost.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

A South Texas redneck! We have the annual rattlesnake roundup at Freer, and when I was down there years ago the boyscouts used to go out in the heat and scrub to catch rattlesnakes. They sold them as meat as their fundraiser raiser for the year. The kiddos used to high tail it off into the scrub in search of the biggest ones they could find (largest snake = trophy and prize!) with just a snake snare and a burlap bag. Now there are several charities and sponsors, so I don't know who gets all the money.

Purchasers buy the snakes and milk them (always a crown pleaser) to get the venom to make antivenom. They sell the meat all over the world (sorry - it DOES taste like chicken even though it looks like fish) and the skins are considered a rare hide overseas.

There are so many snakes out slithering around when they have this event that they are literally everywhere. When they have had a good year breeding, in the next few you will see them mashed on every rural and county road from Freer on south.

You probably think I'm kidding....

out the guest performers list! This is honestly a big deal, and a real family affair. You eat BBQ of all kinds, drink beer, and there is a hot sauce tasting contest, snake handling exibition and of course everything in the world made from the skins; cell phone covers, hat bands, watch bands, wallets, belts, knife sheaths, boots, you name it.

A big dance at the end of the night under the light bulbs with a good band. What more could you ask for?

You had to ask...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Bet you can't guess what you catch when you use a hunk of ground hog that has been claimed as road kill and laying in the summer sun for about 2-3 days as bait.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thu, Mar 15, 2007, 9:21pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doty sayeth: They sold them as meat as their fundraiser raiser for the year. The kiddos used to high tail it off into the scrub in search of the biggest ones they could find (largest snake = trophy and prize!) with just a snake snare and a burlap bag.

When visiting Arizona years ago my dad met a guy who sold rattlesnakes to eating places as meat. His snake stick was called a 20 gauge shotgun - blew their heads off. He could have gotten more for live ones. Personally I'd use a 12 gauge. Rattle snake meat - survival food. Proably the kind of peope that eat snake also eat bait and call it sushi. I eat "my" sushi fried.

JOAT Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with no heavy lifting.

Reply to
J T

Reply to
nospambob