A Sad Day Ahead

Page 1 of 3

I haven't posted on the wreck in quite some time so many of you may not remember me. It's in times of pain, however, that we like to share so that our grief might be less. This is one of those days for me and my family. A few weeks back our Golden Retriever Mariah started to throw up with increased frequency. She became more and more lethargic as the days went by. We took her to the vet a few days ago and it appears that the diagnosis is not good. We're not 100% sure but it appears to be cancer of the liver. There is little we can do for her at this point. She's had severe arthritis in her hind legs for over a year now and can barely get around. We will most likely have to put her to sleep this very evening. Many of you may not understand that bond between a good dog and a person but to us she is like another child. She is such a lover. My heart is heavy and I cry as I type this. It hurts so much. Just keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.
Thank you my friends,
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

It's a really tough thing to go through, losing a loved pet. In the past, I've had to put down a German Shepherd and then a cat. The cat was almost 20 years ago and it's only just 10 days ago that I've adopted another cat because it looks so much like the first one. And now I'm reminded of all the times the previous pets made me laugh, because this one is doing the same things.
You know it's the right thing to do and something you have to do. Even with all the heartache, I know you know that you will be relieving your dog of a great deal of pain an anguish by helping her move on. It's selfish to do anything else. You'll see her again. My condolences are with you.
Dave

You surely have both. Many of us have been there, and you have to concentrate on loving them enough to have mercy.
--
Nahmie
Jeff P. wrote:

I had a vet appointment for tomorrow for my 16 1/2 year old Newfoundland mix, but I cancelled it. It is sad to lose a friend who is the only one in the world who believes me to be perfect in every way.
Glen
"Jeff P." wrote in message ...

We had to put our 14 year old GR down last year ... rest assured that you are doing her a favor. Get a grip on yourself and, if the vet will allow it, hold her head in your hands at the end. It is a very peaceful process and you will be forever glad that you've paid her that homage.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05
Jeff P. wrote:

Jeff, I think you've had a pretty good life if this is one of the worst things you have had to experience. I can understand when people write a eulogy about when their Dad dies on this board, but a pet? You are claiming to need prayers when there's so many people in the world worse off than you are? How about buying a new dog and thanking God that you've had such a wonderful, trouble free life. This is has got to be one of the most melodramic posts I've ever read.
A trouble free life? No. My father was brain injured in a bike accident and to this day (23 years later) is unresponsive. My mother fought cancer for 17 years before succumbing to it. I was with her and held her hand as she died. My grandparents are all dead. I don't think this qualifies as a trouble free life. My dogs, however, have helped my family through all these times. They give us unconditional love and ask nothing in return. If you don't understand this relationship then please just don't reply. To the rest of you that have replied...thanks much.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

I think life's losses hardens some people to the point of not feeling truly loving and caring for others - or by others - much less for an animal. For the rest of us, losses allow us to more deeply and emotionally connect to others and such creatures as dogs and cats - beyond mere ownership of an animal.
In our household, our animals have brought us much joy and humor; have taught us about caring for those unable to care for themselves; have forced us to make life and death decisions for family we love; have taught us; even frustrated and angered us. The positives have always outweighed the negatives.
The folks who have children will remember the times when their young son or daughter would immediately run to greet them with arms outstretched, a smile from ear to ear, and a full body, to-the-core hug. Sharing our lives with dogs is much the same - a 4 year old who never outgrows the spontaneous outpouring of affection and joy at seeing you.
Our back yard is the resting spot for 3 of our dear dogs - unfortunately, a 4th will likely be joining the others before next summer. My thoughts are with you and your family, Jeff - I know it's hard.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Fuck off. <plonk>
Thanks Dave! I couldn't have said it better myself.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
Dave Hinz wrote:

Amen!!
--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:

Melodramatic??
I can not imagine a more insensitve response.
It makes me wonder what kind of person you are and how you respond to other people's pain and difficulties. Tjhe loss of any loved one is a major event and very stressful.
I have had to do the same thing with both family dogs and cats. It ain't easy. But it is necessary. It ultimately is an act of love and caring. It is the least you can do when they have loved you so well over the years. I occasionally still call my present animals by the names of their beloved brothers and sisters from the past. This indicates to me that they are not forgotten. But loved, remembered and cherished.
Be well Jeff. Tough this one out. I feel for ya.
And when the time is right, welcome another canine friend into the family. It will be a move appreciated by all.
Thank you Lee. Three years back we had to put down my springer spaniel. I thought to myself that I wouldn't want another dog but when I came home from work the next day and he didn't meet me at the door I knew I had to have another. We'll wait a bit for the hurt to go away and then I'm sure we will indeed welcome another into the house.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Jeff, I sympathize. Making the necessary choice if difficult, even when you know the right answer.

That may be true, but it misses the point. For those of us who have the privilege of experiencing dogs as part of our families, the grief is real. Yes, we know from the moment we bring a puppy into our homes that the life span is shorter than people, but they still touch our hearts.

BF - it sounds to me like you have never really experienced the joy of sharing your life with a four footed companion. I hope that you have this wonderful opportunity at some point.
Robert L. Haar wrote:

I've had several dogs in my life. When I was a kid, I cried when they died. Now that I'm a grown man, I realize that the loss of a pet is nowhere near the tragedy of the loss of human life. Pets are cool, but in the end, they are just pets. Just like tools are just tools -- eventually they must be thrown away as well.
I know most people will think I'm a cold harded SOB, but the OP made a big deal over losing a pet (asking for prayers, treating it as a grand tragedy). I'm sure you guys don't want me posting here everytime one of my fish die.
I think most people here would prefer you not post here at all...go throw away some tools instead.
I'm waiting for the vet to come over to put down one of our dogs tonight. Not asking for prayers and it's not a "grand tragedy" just a sad occasion like the one that the original poster tried to share. It's a pity that some grown-ups can't appreciate anothers grief. Or maybe you're just not as grown up as you'd like to think.
John

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:59:34 GMT, "John Emmons"

If you were grown up none of you would post this maudlin slop here. We all have our bag of hammers. It's called life. This is a forum for wood working, not self-pity. I lost my dog to cancer. I also go in for another cancer check tomorrow, having been dealing with it for a few years now. I won't be posting the results here either way. Live with it.