So many Dewalt DW735s on ebay

I need a new planer and am interested in the Dewalt DW735. I noticed a couple businesses selling reconditioned units. They seem to be going like hotcakes. I actually tried to bid on several but the bidding was so intense and competitive during the last 2 minutes of the auction that I got nervous that it was some sort of scam.

What's the deal? Why so many reconditioned units on the market? I don't see Delta or others selling like this. Is there a problem with the DW735? Should I save my money for the Delta 22-580?

Reply to
Jerry

I can not answer your question about the Dewalt but I recently bought a Delta 22-580 and it is awesome!

Reply to
Dick Snyder

probably because dewalt has a recondition seller program. I bought a reconditioned saw from a company on itnernet. it was reconditioned in Mexico. I also bought a reconditioned bosch drill a while back on ebay.

I wonder if this means they fail a lot :P

You can check the ratings of folks on ebay as well as see closed auctions for a product to see what they are going for.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I bought my DW735 new, and the blades that came with it were junk - after just one or two passes of a pine 2"x4"x4', the blades would start leaving ridges. From reviews on Amazon, I think other people ran into the same problem. I called DeWalt, and they shipped me two brand-new (and non-junk) sets of blades. Mabye other people returned the DW735 instead.

Reply to
Michael White

My guess is that it has more to do with which retailers move a quantity of DeWalts vs. Deltas or the others. And... at least one of those retailers is the Orange Borg (aka Home Depot). It's fairly common knowledge that a number of our upstanding fellow citizens buy something like this, use it for a small project and then return it to the store for a refund, citing, "It doesn't quite fit my needs - you may credit my Visa card."

The retailer is then obligated to return it to DeWalt who cleans it up, replaces used items, repackages and then sends it to retailers of reconditioned items.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I think you are right in this one, Owen. I have bought several Bostitch guns that were recons, and two of them looked like they have never been fired.

In fact, I was looking for a compressor to replace one that is making its death rattles and stumbled onto a site that had an 18 ga and 15 ga nailer with a nice lug around compressor delivered for less than $200. I was thinking I would spend about $200+ on the compressor alone so I bit on the deal.

These were recons, but you would never know it. The 15 ga didn't even have a scuff on the nose, but it had about 200 brads missing from the box. That was it. The 18 gauge looked as if it had never been used at all, and so did the compressor. (The shipper mashed the plastic cowling, so Bostitch is shipping a new one free).

I suspect that DeWalt does as Bostitch and lets out lots of recons out for bid on places like UBID, etc. I know that the DeWalt rep here said that they had tons of that stuff and were working to get rid of it since they couldn't resell as new. LIberal return policies (remember when you didn't even need a receipt at Home Depot?) and dishonest customers have to make up a large part of this "recon" market that is getting bigger and bigger.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I buy reconditioned by choice...

Just a personal theory, but with QC being so poor lately, it's my feeling that the recon units might get checked a bit more before being "cretified"..YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis