A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

Page 1 of 5
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy; just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.
Joe

Oh, really? Infinitely more?
Some may take that as an insult, and possibly wish to use foul language in your direction, suggesting physically impossible auto-sexual activity.
But y'know what? I think I'll just keep hanging out here with the dumb guys.
I'd be too embarrassed to go to a forum where people are infinitely more knowledgeable than me. Why, they'll probably know the question whose answer is "42", and then the universe will disappear and be replaced with something even more inexplicable.
I bet even Dr. Bernofski would shy away, and he knows *everything*.
Thanks anyway.
stated:

Do *you* want to know the Question?
The Ultimate Question?
About Life, the Universe, and Everything?
I could find out, but it would take some doing.
Meanwhile, I stick with rec.woodworking too.
-Don (off to see the mice)
-- I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'll have to think about it for a while, but I should be able to come up with it. (-:
Puckdropper

Some may realize that knowledgeability is assumed when in agreement, ignorance when in disagreement. Can you say "halo effect?"
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:50:09 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Me too.
I like FWW's searchable article indexes and downloadable pdf's, but the forums aren't all that hot in my experience. The forums seemed like they'd be great for those who get insulted and hurt if others point out alternative methods or that they're repeating false folklore.
Personally, I'd rather be told I'm wrong, or informed of other methods. I learn things when others point out my mistakes, or challenge my methods or opinions. Discussion... It goes both ways.
Off topic Usenet posts are extremely easy to deal with on either a high tech (filters & proxy), or low tech (skip the posts) level.
Fri, Jan 12, 2007, 8:50pm (EST-1) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (DaveBalderstone) doth sayeth: <snip> But y'know what? I think I'll just keep hanging out here with the dumb guys. <snip>
I'm not sure what it says about me, but I'll stick with the dummies too.
Anytime someone starts telling me how much smarer than me he is, I get suspicious.
JOAT I do not have the huge amout of faith needed to be an Atheist.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:41:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Ahhh yes. Gotta add in a couple others to the *suspicious activities list*- If a guy tells me he's not a liar, that's the first thing I figure he is, and if he leads *any* conversation with "I'm a Christian", I assume he's doing something that would shame the very devil himself. People who are secure enough in what they're doing don't bother to tell you what you're supposed to believe about them.
Funny how that works, isn't it?

us dummyz cant reed gud anyway so ill just stay heer.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If you make the most of woodworking classes, you study hardwoods, you do your woodwork, and you make an effort to be smart, you can be in Finewoodworking.com. If you don't, you get stuck in irec.woodworking.
John K.
Could be just me but I was deeply offended when they wanted to charge over and above the subscrip price for their website. A charge for those who don't get the mag would be OK. But for those of us who do and have for years...If the mag wasn't the quality it is I would have dropped them over that. Instead I continue to enjoy the print version. As for online, there is just waaaaayyyyy to much free on the net to justify the extra cost.
Filtering out the OT's, Spam and Iraq body counts really isn't that difficult. As for the skill level, If I didn't need to ask a dumb question once in a while I probably would save that time poundin' keys and put it to better use making sawdust.
Daryl
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ONE word:
Handymanclubofamerica. I read the articles, I do NOT stick around for the free drill guide. ..and WHAT has FWW even give away for free?, Huh? Huh?
Didn't think so.
42 <-------- that much I know. I just need a question now.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

They are penny pinchers ... I just got in a pissing contest with Taunton over their website store's apparently well *hidden* shipping policy. Not a bad idea to make wRec'ers aware of:
I ordered an item on a Wednesday morning via UPS 2nd Day air, expecting a Friday AM delivery ... the item didn't arrive until after 6 PM the following Monday!
Taunton continued to insist/claim that what I paid for with "2nd Day Air" was delivery after office hours (6PM) on Monday, after five days in transit, and 3 1/2 "business days" from the date of the order!
To me, 2nd Day Air is short hand for "day after tomorrow" when placed on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday before noon ... and UPS agrees with me, although they include Wednesday without a qualifier, like "before noon" for the contiguous 48.
To Taunton, and for all practical purposes for an unwary Taunton customer, because they just might not get around to processing your order until the next day, 2nd Day Air shipping is a crapshoot and only worth the price if you place the order on two days of the week, Monday or Tuesday ... maybe!
Hey,Taunton ... you really need to say that!
Long story short, after much bitching and exchange of e-mails, they reluctantly returned my money ... but only after they received the item back after sending me a "postage paid label" to return the goods.
Although I subscribe to their website because I find it to be a time saving resource for some of what I do, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy anything from them again ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Last I ever heard about their 2nd day(UPS), is that they do not guarantee anything but NEXT DAY.
Swingman wrote:

There are a few people on the Wreck that I've come to take at face value. Swingman is one of them. I don't think I've ever read anything by him that has been proven wrong or misleading. That's not to say he's the only one - there are quite a few who give me the same feeling.
Therefore, from what he's said about the FWW PDFs, I'll give it some more thought. However, my bitch with FWW is that I decided a few months ago to try out the forums and join the online group. Since I'm a FWW subscriber, it was only $15 a year and quite affordable.
I'm one of those people who doesn't have a credit card. I have my reasons for that, and it's served me well. So I emailed and asked about alternative methods of payment: snail mail cheque, PayPal, online bank payment, etc. NO, I was told by Taunton. CC is the ONLY payment method we take.
Well, sheeit. I had come to the conclusion then that I'd forego the online subscription because of that answer.
For the most part I'm quite happy with my FWW magazine every month, but I had come to expect more in customer service from them than that answer.
Maybe you're reading this, Taunton customer service. Maybe not. I think i'll just use my $15 and put it towards my next Lee Valley run.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

: I'm one of those people who doesn't have a credit card. I have my : reasons for that, and it's served me well. So I emailed and asked about : alternative methods of payment: snail mail cheque, PayPal, online bank : payment, etc. NO, I was told by Taunton. CC is the ONLY payment method : we take.
And I'm sure they have their reasons for that.
If you're going to deliberately eschew the default means of payment for web services, you might not be able to get the full range of them. Why are you even surprised, much less offended?
    -- Andy Barss

You can't get a Visa debit card from your checking account?
With it, you can pay as a credit card while paying cash, with added fraud protection. My credit union debit card has a Visa logo whether I want it or not.
B A R R Y wrote:

Maybe I can. I haven't checked and I'm not about to. Getting a VISA or M/C is something I can do. That's not the point.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

The funny part is that I didn't ask for it. All of my new ATM cards simply arrived with MC or Visa logos on them as expired cards were replaced. I have a feeling that Visa pays the issuing institution something for the logo to be there.
Don't be surprised if your next ATM card arrives with a credit card logo. I can no longer get an ATM card from the two credit unions or one bank that I deal with without a credit card logo.

I bet you can if you make a fuss about it. I've had my checking account at Bank A for 25+ years, but (mostly due to better terms) I've done all my loan business at Bank B. About 5 years ago, Bank A sent me -- unrequested -- a new ATM card with a MC logo on it. Except it wasn't *just* an ATM card, it was a debit card too. And it looked almost identical to the MC that I already carried in my wallet. Worst of all, the paperwork accompanying it informed me that my current ATM card would no longer be valid 30 days later.
So I called and protested. Told the customer service rep that the last thing I wanted was a card that looked like a credit card, was accepted like a credit card, and took money directly out of my checking account. Don't want it, don't need it, not gonna use it. Want to keep using the old ATM card, too.
He told me that's impossible.
I pointed out that *every* time I've gone into Bank B for a loan, they ask me when they're going to get my checking account business too, and I always tell them the same thing: I'm happy with Bank A, and I'm staying there unless they do something to tick me off.
Then I told the fella from Bank A "Now you guys have done something to tick me off -- and I promise you that tomorrow morning I'm moving my checking account to Bank B unless you find a way to make that work."
He said, "I can't do that."
I said, "Then transfer to someone who can."
Transferred. Same statement, same response.
Transferred again. Got somebody with some real authority that time, who said "Let me see what I can do." An hour later, he called me back and said he had it all fixed.
And I'm *still* using the same ATM card. With only the bank's logo on it.
--
Regards,