A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

I know of a Beech Sundowner

that can hold 10' boards in the tail section. Heck, it's nose-heavy anyway!

I can see it now... Busted at customs! Not for drugs, cash, booze, jewels, or women, but exotic lumber.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote in news:1168820904.645536.282040 @q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

We used to live in West Floral Park, NY, just off the "path" (whatever it is called) and a few miles away from the landing runway of Kennedy International Airport (Idlewild). It was magnificent to see all those

747's and other biggies float by, and I really like being a passenger on them better than on 767's. In addition, the Concord(e) was very beautiful, but noisy as all "#311".
Reply to
Han

Ever been in one? They had to be fast, you couldn't stand to be that cramped for long.

Reply to
CW

Ahhh yes. Gotta add in a couple others to the *suspicious activities list*- If a guy tells me he's not a liar, that's the first thing I figure he is, and if he leads *any* conversation with "I'm a Christian", I assume he's doing something that would shame the very devil himself. People who are secure enough in what they're doing don't bother to tell you what you're supposed to believe about them.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Reply to
Prometheus

"CW" wrote in news:_yAqh.10987$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Never been in one. I've seen the tiny things on the ground a number of times, and I know (sort of) some bigwigs who liked to fly them. Among them, Sir John Vane eventually got a Nobel prize, but Salvador Moncada did not.

Reply to
Han

One benefit that occurs to me is that should anybody else get a hold of your card, they can't use it without your PIN code. Cards with the Visa/MC logo can be used without that information, therefore your cash is less secure.

Personally I use my credit card for virtually every purchase I make, as it is more convenient to not have to bother with cash. I just pay the entire balance off each month so as to not have that convenience cost me extra.

Reply to
Mark Blum

Yep. I treat CC purchases like checks. I write a transfer from the checking account into a credit card reserve account, then at the end of the month clear out the reserve account to pay the bill. Works really well with the various accounting programs; it was more work before those programs.

Mark & Juanita

Of course everyone has their own tastes, but I basically have my options set just like my newsreader does it for the wreck: reverse threaded listing. The only difference is that the newest posts are on top (both new thread and new posts to threads) as opposed to Agent, where the new threads are at the bottom (unless there's a setting I haven't found yet to change that).

Guilty as charged, although I am no DD. I do it because it's an effective way of getting readers to look at my message. Yes, I have that much ego.

Frankly, I get tired (not on usenet because it works differently) of seeing 25 straight copies of the original subject line with "Re:" in front of them. How unoriginal. But I realize usenet works a little differently--see below.

But the entire thread is there, so there is context. With Agent (and maybe other readers on usenet) when you change the subject line, the reply is taken out of the thread. That and failing to quote any of the material in the post being replied to is what is so maddening about DD. It doesn't work that way at WC.

Ellis does a first class job.

Reply to
LRod

It would be a benefit if it were true.

Debit cards run as credit cards have all the fraud protections of a credit card:

Of course, if the transaction uses a PIN, none of the above applies.

Same here. Not to mention bonus points.

I've heard that studies show that we spends less when using cash. We budget with Quicken, so we know exactly where we spend, regardless of how we spend it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

One man's solution to the "healthcare crisis." Make them look you in the eye as you pay the bill _yourself_ and see whether we can get things under control.

Reply to
George

In two ways: first, I'm still using the same PIN, too, so I didn't have to memorize a new one. Mostly, though, the benefit I perceive is that it's not possible for me to accidentally debit a major purchase from my checking account, instead of charging it on MC like I meant to, simply by inadvertently pulling the wrong card out of my wallet.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm with ya'!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Good point, although my credit union will put any PIN on the card I want.

I know that feeling!

I have a company charge card that allows no personal use. I keep the three cards in my wallet in different colored Tyvek envelopes. On occasion, my wife uses my wallet online 'cause I leave it next to the computer and her purse is elsewhere. Twice she's put the cards back in the wrong sleeves and I've had the company card out for major purchases and realized what I was about to do.

Reply to
B A R R Y

After my sister's accident, the medicals bills (now well over $700,000) went across the desk of someone who used to specialize in forensic accounting for a very large construction company. The hospitals involved either knew this scrutiny was taking place or they're basically honest. Expensive, but honest. No evidence of 30 dollar boxes of Kleenex. As usual, basically honest professionals are taking a bad rap for the as*holes in any business. Anybody in here who is a builder, or deals with builders, knows that the bulk of them are pretty straight shooters. It only takes a couple of bad apples.

WHICH reminds of a story.

A woman from one of the local service clubs was visiting a lawyer because she noticed in her database of contributors that he never sent any money even though he was a member. "Why don't you help us out with a charitable contribution?" she asked. "Let me tell you," he explained, "my wife is at home in a wheelchair, my sister is in a very expensive rehab centre, my mother is in one of the country's most expensive sanatoriums, my father is in very costly physiotherapy, my 2 sons are in college, my daughter needs help in keeping her head above water. I don't give them any money, why should I give you any money?"

Reply to
Robatoy

Interesting to note the "this is not a bill" statements from Medicare and other insurances, where the participating provider discounts heavily and takes the write-off. An unrecognized public cost, surely, that write-off. I wonder if the MSRP-equivalent cost they state at first is derived between the ears or buttocks.

Were it not for the auto accidents, our ambulance would be broke. They pay the full amount on our bills.

Reply to
George

My brother-in-law was telling me that the hospital would submit a bill to the insurance company (maybe via my BIL, I'm not sure) say for $90,000 and the the insurance would say: "we'll give you $ 60K" and the hospital would accept that....how can that work? Frequent Flyer Miles?

Reply to
Robatoy

Yup, uhuh...suuure...:) *wink, wink, say no more* The old "purse-is-elsewhere" routine. Check!

*having a chuckle at Barry's expense*

Problem in this house, is that the company cards are somehow bolted onto my accounts. Sometimes she lets me use her purse. Most of the time, it matches my shoes.

Robatoy

That's real good ... as you long as you keep in mind that those pearls don't go with everything!

Reply to
Swingman

Usually her purse is elsewhere when she needs cash.

Reply to
B A R R Y