A jointer saga part III: the end

I give up. It's not worth it to overcome the stonewalling techniques rampant in business today. The latest in Sears responses to my problem along with my response follow with no further comment.

========================================================== Dear Mr. Johnson,

I am aware of your frustration with this situation. I did not measure the thickness of the knives, but I did contact our parts department and they also verified that the blades are actual original blades, and not manufactured replacements. Emerson originally manufactured the jointer and the blades. When Emerson stopped producing these items for Sears, we purchased all of the available accessories and parts. The difference in thickness may be from wear and tear on the original blades. I believe you compared the size to your original knives, which will reduce in size through wear and through sharpening.

I have also had our asset protection department research the issue, thus the unfortunate delay in my response. They did not find the blades to be a risk to the operator. Your concern with the safety of this product is certainly valid and appreciated, and your particular issue has allowed the team to ensure that the product is safe for future customers.

I have reconsidered my prior offer for resolution and I have checked on the cost of service and replacement parts. The replacement parts run $131.49 for the cutter assembly and $94.99 for the infeed table for a total of $226.48. The cost of a new 6 1/8" jointer is $229.99. It would not be cost effective to replace the damaged parts. I have verified that the jointer was most likely made in 1971. The machine has had a much longer life than expected, which is wonderful. I would recommend replacing the jointer you had, as it was a very high quality jointer. The offer of 10% off of the purchase of a new jointer still stands if you would once again like to purchase a quality Craftsman jointer, but Sears will not be repairing or replacing your jointer.

Thanks, Brian Boka Sears Product Support & E-mail Customer Direct Team Manager

515-440-5126

====================================================================== Dear Mr. Boka,

With over 50 years of using and repairing machinery such as this jointer, let me try one more time to educate you. The blades you sold me are NOT original equipment. They do not bear the Craftsman logo and part number. Plus they appear to be a different alloy. The manufacturer is irrelevant except that the quality control is certainly lacking. I compared the new knives to the originals only after measuring the latter. As I noted in my original letter, they vary in thickness by as much as .008" from one end of a given knife to the other. This means that the wedges do not seat evenly which in turn means that the center of mass of the cutter head is not the same as the center of rotation. This produces vibration which, combined with the uneven seating of the wedges, will cause the knives to be ejected. Wear and sharpening affect only the width (from cutting edge to back).

As to having your legal (asset protection(!)) staff research this problem, they are not about to admit any culpability. I would think that they would, however, be interested in the problem simply based upon the liability incurred by the lack of quality control. Imagine sharp objects being flung out at speed had I not had the guard in place. But then perhaps Sears feels that a large legal staff is more cost effective than solving quality problems.

I have ordered a jointer from another manufacturer so I will not be availing myself of your 10% offer. I now consider this matter closed. Good luck.

Reply to
jo4hn

so now you are trying your case in the court of public opinion? What's the point? Sears isn't going to be responding in this forum...

dave

jo4hn wrote:

blah blah

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Mark

funny thing is, when I comment on a defective tool, I get never-ending grief on the Wreck for mentioning it...sounds like a double standard.

dave

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The customer is always right.

Except in your case, obviously.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Another instance of the pot calling the kettle ....

I think I'll save this one right next to

"Bay Area Dave" spews forth another gem

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I think this says it all. 30 years is much longer than a craftsman tool is supposed to live and it amazes the service department when they hear of such a wonder. I can't believe that they would say that, but then again... I am curious just exactly how long they expect their major tools to last under normal use. 15 years, 10 years, 5 years, warranty period plus one day?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

vea%40nospam.com%3E&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=2u2ib.231%24oG6.> 3%40newssvr27.news.prodigy.com&rnum=1

LMAO!

Except.... ... IMO jo4hn has a valid point. Sears sold him something that became schrapnel and could have killed him. I'm surprised they haven't paid off his house and sent him on a month's vacation to Hawaii.

Apparently the middle managers don't have enough stock options.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Is this thing really 34 years old and they still stock infeed table and cutter head. Last year I tried getting a new motor for a craftsman 6" jointer that was bought in 1991 they didbn't have em oh well replaced with PM54

Reply to
joey

Bay Area Dave wrote in news:c0Ehc.25019$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

Of course it is, Dave. But some folks are still going to give you grief for it. ;-)

I think, originally, John was hoping someone could give him direction or insight on how to resolve this issue. When that proved not to be the case, he provided, as the man says, 'the rest of the story'.

John, may your new jointer be delivered in fine shape, with all of the appropriate parts, without undue delay. You seem to have had your share of frustration for the week.

Patriarch, whose current jointer is a minty #6 from the Merchant of Ashby.

Reply to
patriarch

I guess jointer design hasn't progressed very much in several decades. What the Hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it (except, in this case, it is broke).

Rob

--------------------------

"joey" wrote ...

Reply to
Basic Wedge

LOL!

dave

Mark Jerde wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

very perceptive. I didn't think it would take too awful long for someone to notice the irony...

dave

Wood Butcher wrote:

vea%40nospam.com%3E&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=2u2ib.231%24oG6.> 3%40newssvr27.news.prodigy.com&rnum=1

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

of course! I'd get grief if I mentioned the sky was blue.

The problem I have with his post is that:

1) He had already made up his mind what the "solution" was so he didn't need any input from anyone here in that regard. 2) The whole idea of him carrying on like a fool over a 33 year old tool is beyond WACKY!! Was his complaint one that a reasonable person would make? My 2 pennies worth is a resounding NYET!

The preceding was merely my personal opinion, worth NADA. (But it was fun to present it, nonetheless...)

peace.

dave

patriarch wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It isn't. Not always, anyway. This morning it was kinda grayish. Right now, it's mostly black.

Sorry, Dave -- just too good an opening to pass up. :-)

Doug Miller

jointer that was bought in 1991 they didbn't have em oh well replaced with

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:05:22 GMT, jo4hn brought forth from the murky depths:

WHAT? You didn't cut your Searz credit card in half and send it back with a single acronym reply? "FOAD!"

I have felt that Sears is NO place to buy tools since they screwed me over in the late 1970's. Effem all. That attitude of theirs is promoting imports.

- Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life. ----

Dynamic Database-Driven Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Mark

hey Doug, how the heck are you? I've not seen much of interest on the Wreck lately so I haven't been commenting much.

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I wasn't pointing fingers towards any ONE person. Just a general comment. :) I'm sure you DO know what I'm referring to.

dave

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave