A jointer saga part III: the end

Page 1 of 2
I give up. It's not worth it to overcome the stonewalling techniques rampant in business today. The latest in Sears responses to my problem along with my response follow with no further comment.
=========================================================Dear Mr. Johnson,
I am aware of your frustration with this situation. I did not measure the thickness of the knives, but I did contact our parts department and they also verified that the blades are actual original blades, and not manufactured replacements. Emerson originally manufactured the jointer and the blades. When Emerson stopped producing these items for Sears, we purchased all of the available accessories and parts. The difference in thickness may be from wear and tear on the original blades. I believe you compared the size to your original knives, which will reduce in size through wear and through sharpening.
I have also had our asset protection department research the issue, thus the unfortunate delay in my response. They did not find the blades to be a risk to the operator. Your concern with the safety of this product is certainly valid and appreciated, and your particular issue has allowed the team to ensure that the product is safe for future customers.
I have reconsidered my prior offer for resolution and I have checked on the cost of service and replacement parts. The replacement parts run $131.49 for the cutter assembly and $94.99 for the infeed table for a total of $226.48. The cost of a new 6 1/8" jointer is $229.99. It would not be cost effective to replace the damaged parts. I have verified that the jointer was most likely made in 1971. The machine has had a much longer life than expected, which is wonderful. I would recommend replacing the jointer you had, as it was a very high quality jointer. The offer of 10% off of the purchase of a new jointer still stands if you would once again like to purchase a quality Craftsman jointer, but Sears will not be repairing or replacing your jointer.
Thanks, Brian Boka Sears Product Support & E-mail Customer Direct Team Manager 515-440-5126
=====================================================================Dear Mr. Boka,
With over 50 years of using and repairing machinery such as this jointer, let me try one more time to educate you. The blades you sold me are NOT original equipment. They do not bear the Craftsman logo and part number. Plus they appear to be a different alloy. The manufacturer is irrelevant except that the quality control is certainly lacking. I compared the new knives to the originals only after measuring the latter. As I noted in my original letter, they vary in thickness by as much as .008" from one end of a given knife to the other. This means that the wedges do not seat evenly which in turn means that the center of mass of the cutter head is not the same as the center of rotation. This produces vibration which, combined with the uneven seating of the wedges, will cause the knives to be ejected. Wear and sharpening affect only the width (from cutting edge to back).
As to having your legal (asset protection(!)) staff research this problem, they are not about to admit any culpability. I would think that they would, however, be interested in the problem simply based upon the liability incurred by the lack of quality control. Imagine sharp objects being flung out at speed had I not had the guard in place. But then perhaps Sears feels that a large legal staff is more cost effective than solving quality problems.
I have ordered a jointer from another manufacturer so I will not be availing myself of your 10% offer. I now consider this matter closed. Good luck.
so now you are trying your case in the court of public opinion? What's the point? Sears isn't going to be responding in this forum...
dave
jo4hn wrote:
blah blah
It didn't seem like he was trying the case here at all. I think he was just venting frustration, understandable after going through the system at Sears. I didn't buy a Sears jointer in 1971, nor would I buy one now. Not because of what he went through, just because. Mark
Bay Area Dave wrote:

funny thing is, when I comment on a defective tool, I get never-ending grief on the Wreck for mentioning it...sounds like a double standard. <g>
dave
Mark wrote:

Of course it is, Dave. But some folks are still going to give you grief for it. ;-)
I think, originally, John was hoping someone could give him direction or insight on how to resolve this issue. When that proved not to be the case, he provided, as the man says, 'the rest of the story'.
John, may your new jointer be delivered in fine shape, with all of the appropriate parts, without undue delay. You seem to have had your share of frustration for the week.
Patriarch, whose current jointer is a minty #6 from the Merchant of Ashby.
of course! I'd get grief if I mentioned the sky was blue. <g>
The problem I have with his post is that:
1) He had already made up his mind what the "solution" was so he didn't need any input from anyone here in that regard. 2) The whole idea of him carrying on like a fool over a 33 year old tool is beyond WACKY!! Was his complaint one that a reasonable person would make? My 2 pennies worth is a resounding NYET!
The preceding was merely my personal opinion, worth NADA. (But it was fun to present it, nonetheless...)
peace.
dave
patriarch wrote:

It isn't. Not always, anyway. This morning it was kinda grayish. Right now, it's mostly black.
Sorry, Dave -- just too good an opening to pass up. :-)
hey Doug, how the heck are you? I've not seen much of interest on the Wreck lately so I haven't been commenting much.
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Doin' alright, Dave, but same as you, I haven't seen too much of interest lately, except for that entertaining thread about pentagons. :-)
Not from me......
Bay Area Dave wrote:

I wasn't pointing fingers towards any ONE person. Just a general comment. :) I'm sure you DO know what I'm referring to.
dave
Mark wrote:

So now it's about you, Dave?
-- conehead

hey bonehead, bite me!
dave
conehead wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

BAD,
If I recall correctly, you had a bad experience with a Veritas burnisher which was too soft to burnish a scraper without becoming scratched itself.
I observe some differences between the burnisher thread and this jointer saga thread -- BAD: - you started out by flailing your saw blade around recklessly - everyone knew that Lee Valley would either replace your burnisher or give you a refund - in short, they will make sure you are happy jo4hn: - the OP started out his story in a careful and calm way - it is obvious that Sears will do nothing to make the situation right
You started out your "Veritas burnisher too soft, and other issues." thread by lobbing a grenade preemptively at people who you say will challenge you on your comments. I only started consistently following the wreck recently (1-2 mo), so I am not as up-to-date on all the history of this group and you, but to my fresh eyes reading up, that burnisher post was just baiting for a heated discussion.
You could make a case that jo4hn was being annoyingly redundant by stating the obvious about Sears, but I personally found the jointer saga posts informative. YMMV.
- Daniel
you left out an important detail, in order to make me wrong in your eyes: I consistently mentioned that I knew LV would take care of the problem and I wasn't bashing LV per se at any time. I only ANTICIPATED getting grief rather than "invite" it. Give ALL the facts, Daniel instead of your slanted opinion of what transpired on the burnisher thread.
have a great day!
dave
Daniel wrote:

Another instance of the pot calling the kettle ....
I think I'll save this one right next to http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+sneeze+OR+eisan+group:rec.woodworking+author:%3Cda vea%40nospam.com%3E&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=2u2ib.231%24oG6. 3%40newssvr27.news.prodigy.com&rnum=1
Art
"Bay Area Dave" spews forth another gem

Wood Butcher wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+sneeze+OR+eisan+group:rec.woodworking+author:%3Cda
vea%40nospam.com%3E&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=2u2ib.2 31%24oG6.
LMAO!
Except.... ... IMO jo4hn has a valid point. Sears sold him something that became schrapnel and could have killed him. I'm surprised they haven't paid off his house and sent him on a month's vacation to Hawaii.
<sigh> Apparently the middle managers don't have enough stock options. </sigh>
-- Mark

that
paid
I agree. Moreover, I think it's important that people who are just getting involved in woodworking should be made aware of the quality of product and service available at sears. Sometimes the prices are hard to beat, but these quality and serive issues should make someone rethink their decision.
--Tom Wojeck
Like Delta never screws up???? (Not that I haven't bashed Sears tools a few dozen times in the past 2 years myself). If EVERY vendor has to adhere to a zero tolerance mistake level, then WHERE are you gonna buy tools from, may I ask??
dave
Tom Wojeck wrote:

very perceptive. I didn't think it would take too awful long for someone to notice the irony...
dave