A jointer saga part III: the end

Like Delta never screws up???? (Not that I haven't bashed Sears tools a few dozen times in the past 2 years myself). If EVERY vendor has to adhere to a zero tolerance mistake level, then WHERE are you gonna buy tools from, may I ask??

dave

Tom Wojeck wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

From what manufacturer is your new jointer?

Let us know how you like it once you've put it through its paces.

Reply to
Salthead

I agree. Moreover, I think it's important that people who are just getting involved in woodworking should be made aware of the quality of product and service available at sears. Sometimes the prices are hard to beat, but these quality and serive issues should make someone rethink their decision.

--Tom Wojeck

Reply to
Tom Wojeck

My guess is that availability of repair parts would be spotty by now. The note from the Sears guy said that when Emerson stopped making the jointer, Sears bought out the inventory. I wouldn't expect the infeed table and cutter head to be a high turnover repair item. What is surprising is that Sears would devote warehouse space to those items for 30 years without scrapping them out.

I once had one of those jointers. Bought it new and thought it was a pretty good tool. But there for a long time I didn't have a workshop and it was rusting away in storage before I gave it to my son. He sold it and has often expressed regrets over doing so.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

So now it's about you, Dave?

-- conehead

Reply to
conehead

Measure the knives, and it is exactly that.

Further, who goes to get a "replacement motor" from the mfr unless it's unique?

I was looking at the mid-grade drill presses at a dealer the other day, because my 70's Craftsman has no crank table control and my back isn't all it used to be. I wouldn't _trade_ any of 'em for what I've got. I guess those who automatically go for low price get what they're looking for - a low price.

Reply to
George

Doin' alright, Dave, but same as you, I haven't seen too much of interest lately, except for that entertaining thread about pentagons. :-)

Doug Miller

If I recall correctly, you had a bad experience with a Veritas burnisher which was too soft to burnish a scraper without becoming scratched itself.

I observe some differences between the burnisher thread and this jointer saga thread -- BAD:

- you started out by flailing your saw blade around recklessly

- everyone knew that Lee Valley would either replace your burnisher or give you a refund - in short, they will make sure you are happy jo4hn:

- the OP started out his story in a careful and calm way

- it is obvious that Sears will do nothing to make the situation right

You started out your "Veritas burnisher too soft, and other issues." thread by lobbing a grenade preemptively at people who you say will challenge you on your comments. I only started consistently following the wreck recently (1-2 mo), so I am not as up-to-date on all the history of this group and you, but to my fresh eyes reading up, that burnisher post was just baiting for a heated discussion.

You could make a case that jo4hn was being annoyingly redundant by stating the obvious about Sears, but I personally found the jointer saga posts informative. YMMV.

- Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

He was following up to let us know how things turned out.

I, for one appreciate having the opportunity read followups to thread which I have taken the time to read.

Thanks, for taking the time John

Reply to
Stephen M

hey bonehead, bite me!

dave

c> So now it's about you, Dave?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

you left out an important detail, in order to make me wrong in your eyes: I consistently mentioned that I knew LV would take care of the problem and I wasn't bashing LV per se at any time. I only ANTICIPATED getting grief rather than "invite" it. Give ALL the facts, Daniel instead of your slanted opinion of what transpired on the burnisher thread.

have a great day!

dave

Daniel wrote:

Reply to