8x6 Garden Hut

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in doing woodworking jobs etc, in as little space as, 8ft x 6ft? Personally I think its to small, but I just bought a Garden hut and it will be delivered in a couple of days, I am now having a rethink about what I could use it for apart from storing things in it. Is it to small to be used as a handy working hobby shed instead of storing the usual bits and bobs in it?

It depends *totally* on what kind of work you're planning on doing.
If you contemplate building a 16' canoe, the hut is obviously too small.
On the other extreme, if all you're doing is turning pens, that can be done in one corner of the space.
My 'shop' has usable open floorspace of about 5'x8'. this does not include the space occupied by industrial utility shelving along 2 walls. Various benchtop powertools are stored on that shelving when not in use. A Delta Contractor saw hogs most of the open space, when in use -- I have to rotate the saw, depending on whether I'm cross-cutting, or ripping, and am restricted to lumber no more than about 6' long, and/or roughly 1/4 sheets of 'sheet goods'. (not as much of a problem as it might seem -- I get the lumber yard to do the initial cuts)
*CAREFUL* planning is a 'must' -- I can either be cutting stock, or assembling, or finishing. one project at a time.
Rig a good ramp so you can use the outdoors when it's decent. Get a canvas canopy so you can work in a drizzle. Put a bench along one wall, with windows aligned to allow long stock to go through. My son did this, with a chop saw built in. If you stick with the right sort of projects, a benchtop saw and circular saw will carry you through, but small chop saws are very cheap additions. Make some overhead storage, if there's headroom for it. Wilson

On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:53:43 GMT, "<<Scottie>>"

Depends on what you're up to. You could get a bench and a decent lathe in something that size. I wouldn't think it'd be big enough for a massive table saw or anything, but with careful planning, I'm sure you could do some nice work in it. My first dedicated shop space was only about 4' x 6', and I managed to do several small projects in it- after I got some more space, it became the room where I kept my midi lathe and grinder, and it worked really nicely for that.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam