Subject Author Posted Replies

Upscale Chessboard
I have a very good friend who runs a gallery in Gatlinburg, TN who wants me to make him a very nice, and rather large, chessboard. I'm thinking the squares will be something like 5". His chess pieces...
16
16

Epoxy to Glue ebony Handle to knife blank
I am making a handle for a knife kit that was given to me. I am making the handle out of ebony and birdseye maple. I really don't want to use rivets. Will epoxy make a good metal to wood bond? Any...
6
6

Two Handles Dovetail or Tenon Saw?
The July-August issue of Woodworker West has an article by Kevin Glen-Drake, titled "An Alternative Approach for Handtool Joinery" that makes an interesting point AND involves two tools that are...
7
7

Where to get oxalic acid in TO; LV cabinet scraper tools needed?
I need to brighten/ bleach my pine picnic table 2"x12"x8' boards that have the blackened water marks, etc. before I finish with Spar. Its great to see after its done so. I have liquid pool chlorine,...
16
16

Baseball bats
So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small...
46
46

Clearance for draw base
I'm building some draws for a piece of furniture, none of them are over 24 inches wide and 18 inches deep. The sides are made of 5/8" baltic birch and the bottom is 1/4". I've cut grooves for the base...
15
15

plidoweInformation wanted about Stanley No. 360 miter box and 30" x6" mated Stanley back saw
I picked this good condition set up at Goodwill last week and have seen the description of the 460 on Tooltrip. I surmise my 360 is a later version of the 460. It does not have the extension for...

Converting from metric to inches in a plan
Ok, I have a workbench plan in metric. I've gone thru all of the metric to inch conversions and wanted to ask those who have done this what happens here. For instance, one my measurement is for 90 x...
26
26

Best $600 Table Saw?
OK, so we got our stimulus check. We're still debating whether to squander the money on food and gas, make a joint decision on a big-ticket item, or give ourselves each another $600 in mad-money. I...
15
15

Walnut dust - causing headaches?
I'm not sure if there's anything to this, but I've been sanding peruvian walnut and seem to get a headache when it's especially dusty. Maybe it's unrelated, but it's got me thinking. Anyone else have...
25
25

Advice on making butchers block trolley
Briefly delurking - I need to advice on making a butchers block and a kitchen trolley for it to sit on. Whilst my general diy woodworking skills are ok, I've not made much furniture before. So...
6
6

Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish
I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being...
7
7

Skilsaw Model 574 Brushes
I need brushes and the intermediate gear for my older model Skilsaw model 574. I have done an online search and I guess my saw is too old. Skil does not support this older model. Darn Thanks for any...
1
1

Pop Wood's Woodworking Conference in Berea KY
Now that I've got my own reservation finalized, who else is going? http://woodworkinginamerica.com/GeneralMenu/

Front Vise
I need to replace my front vise, which is the green thing Woodcraft sells. I want to replace it with a cast iron vise such as a Record. One of my main concerns is the amont of racking that an...
7
7