6'x6'x1/4" plywood, or similar?

I'm in the process of building an "Ames Room" as a display for our Psychology Depertment. I'm using the plans originally developed by Ames.

(sorry about the word-wrap)

had one built 20 years ago, but dimensions are such that some of the walls, the ceiling and floor have to be made by edge splicing 4' wide 1/4" plywood together. It looks like crap. The dimensions are so complicated that I'm not willing to try and scale it down.

Is anybody aware of plywood or another a building material that could be used in place of 1/4" plywood, and comes in 6' wide by 6' (or longer) sheets?

Thanks

Reply to
Ken Moffett

What a cool project.. I don't know of any 6 x 6 sheets of 1/4" plywood.. but, if you're willing to step up to 3/4" in ply.. you could use a biscuit jointer, and a good tablesaw, you can get the joint to be seemless (as opposed to crap).. I've done it myself..I assume the plywood is eventually going to be painted or otherwise finished. Just get a bunch of long pipe for your pipe clamps [for the glue ups], and you're good to go.

Reply to
bf

Call a couple of the flexible veneer companies. Oakwood or flexwood are two that come to mind. They may be able to supply 6' wide veneer you could apply to 1/4 substrate.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Don't get hung up on the material - the illusion is the objective and you should be able to build it as a conventionally framed structure with drywall for the wall surfaces allowing you to mud and sand everything smooth enough for your required painting.

Remember, the results are viewed through a peephole, so discrepancies will not be as noticeable as if inspected close-up from the interior of the structure.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

Can you provide a link or citation for the plans? I cannot tell from the references which specifically contain the plans themselves. I'm thinking this would be a cool project to get my kids involved with...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Baltic Birch is 5'x5'. Still scaled down, but a lesser amount.

Reply to
Rick Samuel