15 OR 16 gauge for crown molding?

I know it was probably discussed here before...(i've search but did not find my answer)
so I have some crown molding to install in my house.... so is a 16ga good enough? or a 15ga? I already have a 18ga....
TIA
--

\Mike
----------------
Mike wrote:

you'll get over 200 hits on Google Groups if you type in "15 ga nailer" Dave
What size does your 18ga shoot? 2" would work. However, I've completely switched from 16 ga to 15 ga fasteners for interior trim. (I do a lot of trim) The 15 ga actually has a head on the nail whereas the 16 ga are "T" nails that pull out easier. This makes a difference especially when nailing doors up. I haven't used my 16 ga in years now...... --dave

Hi Mike,
I am not a pro, but have installed quite a bit of crown in our house (and some relatives!) over the years.
I just completed some crown in our FR and decided that I would actually back it up with pre-cut triangles that I shot into studs/rafters.
After installing these 'wedges', I applied a dab of glue and shot the crown using 1.25 brads.
For the wedges, I used 2.5 (16 ga), but at least they were through solid material and not just hanging out there (hate the thoughts of that for some reason).
Lou
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:30:31 -0500, "Mike"

It kinda depends on were it's installed. We don't use anything smaller than 15ga on crown if we shoot it to a ceiling either through rock or to a nailer. If we install it on top if cabinets where we have wood to wood we'll use pins.
Mike O.