Re: Please help me identify this part...

King is correct about the offset stuff -- but there's more info.
A) It's (usually) called a "cup center".
B) The reason for the offset is this: if you turn a piece with one end centered (in the "live center", so named because it's attached to the motor and thus directly driven), and the other end offset (in the "dead center" -- in this case, your mystery part) -- the resulting piece, when turned 'normally' (i.e., as if it's a straight cylinder) will come out *tapered*.
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:40:11 +0000, S. A. King wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file
Upload is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.