Please help identify this wood

I need to get some hardwood for hand railings and need it to be the same as the existing if possible. I have placed picture on my website.

it is stained and varnished but I would like to sand it down and apply oil or beeswax.

- depending on it's angle to the light the wood reflects the light in different ways. - Is it real mahogany or ?

Looking forward to your answers.

Cheers Larry

Reply to
larry

Resembles Mahogany to me. However a picture that is in focus would help.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon

I have uploaded a hopefully shaper one -still same link - I'm only using a Logitec webcam.

Reply to
larry

I still think Mahogany. It being on a stair tread, how has it held up?

Reply to
Leon

Looks more like African mahogany than mahogany, but who knows.

I took a piece of wood into two good lumber yards and asked them what it was. They both said it was a tropical wood nominally called mahogany; but it could be any of several dozen species and there was no practical way to be sure. So getting an accurate answer from a poor photo...

Reply to
Toller

Impossible to tell what the shaped piece is, what it is resting on is mahogany. "Real" mahogony? Well, Carribean/Latin America as opposed to Phillipine but exactly what kind of Carribean/Latin America I couldn't say. Best guess is Honduras in which case it would be "real" (Swietenia macrophylla).

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
larry