kitchen sink help me please!!

I know absolutely nothing about plumbing, but may need to learn. My kitchen sink drain started leaking today. We have lived here for six months and not seen it before. From what I can tell (I'll try and explain, but pardon my ignorance) There is a piece of PVC under my sink drain. It has a small section that is angled up that comes off of the side, that I believe is there to hook a dishwasher drain hose up to. My dishwasher drain hose connects on the other side of the sink through the garbage disposal. If I run a lot of water through the drain it will start to back up and come out of the piece that could be connected to the dishwasher drain hose, but isn't. Do I need to cap this piece somehow, or is this a sign of a clog since it hasn't been a problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated

------------------------------------- __ / _) _.----._/ / / / __/ ( | ( | /__.-'|_|--|_|

Reply to
adamtiz

I would replace the plastic piece with a new one without the dishwasher connection. The part will be inexpensive. The new part will have to be cut to the correct length before installation. While you have it apart you can clean the trap out.

Reply to
Pat

On 11/20/2010 4:56 PM adamtiz spake thus:

You mean the piece that you think a dishwasher drain is supposed to connect to is *open* and water can come out of it from the sink drain?

Well, that ain't right. Yes, if that's the case it needs to be capped. How depends on what's at the end of that piece. Describe in more detail, please. Threads on the outside? Black plastic? white?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If it was not a problem before and it's backing up now, something's going on. Take stuff loose, and check your U shaped trap first. Take stuff loose after that until you find the blockage or restriction. Reinstall and make sure everything is tight. That plastic pipe under a sink is inexpensive, but it sounds like you have something blocking it, as it was fine, and now it is not.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Yes, it should be capped. If it was not all along, you've been lucky it has not leaked. Could it be that the cap got knocked off?

Does it leak when the disposal on the other side of the sink is used? If so, there is at least the start of a clog. I'd start by checking the trap for buildup and then run a snake down the drain. If parts have to be replaced, they are fairly cheap and easy to obtain at the local hardware store or home center.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It wasn't fine before. He has an unused, open dishwasher connection on his sink drain. Only now the drain has likely become partially blocked, enough so that water backs up enough to come out the open connection.

The solution is to both clear the drain and fix the open connection.

Reply to
trader4

Exactly. And a pot of boiling water thrown down the drain every couple of months will do wonders to keep it flowing nicely. (use in bathtub and bathroom sink as well, as required.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The proper thing is to replace that section of pipe.

If you are timid about tackling that chore you can just cap it off and call it a temporary fix. You can do that with just a screwdriver if you use a product like the one shown on this page:

You may or may not be able to buy that part at home depot. A real plumbing supply will have it.

I think, you should measure before buying, that a 3/4" cap will do the job for you.

Reply to
Colbyt

Basically I agree. However, he seems to identify them correctly, though I don't know how. I too would like to know the criteria.

I base my statement that he's usually correct on the observation that when he makes that post, the OP never returns to follow up, and one-shot postings are far more common on web forums.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid