144,000 horsepower

Page 3 of 4
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

------------------------ Sounds about right.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/11/2010 12:40 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Speaking of sail, the thing that amazes me is the speeds that are being sustained under sail. At the rate things are going it won't be long before United States' transatlantic record falls to a sailing yacht--last August Banque Populaire 5 came within about 9 hours of beating it. 32 knots under sail, all the way across. I remember when Crossbow first managed to struggle over 30 knots on a short measured course and now that's being bettered for thousands of miles at a stretch, and here's what a big boat going fast looks like today <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ßGS7YCDk3Y>. Same boat flipped at
SIXTY-ONE KNOTS.
Add pictures here
✖

I pitchpoled my 16 several times. It's amazing how far a body can fly from the back of a trampoline. <grin>
--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
✖
Nonny wrote:

try a more modern cat, like a nacra or larger prindle, without a spin. you have to do something really stupid and go out of your way to pitchpole a prindle 19 or 18.2. i've never come even really close to pitchpoling my p19 and i've been out in some heavy winds. they have wave piercing hull forms, so go through rather than up and down, so it's much harder to catch the nose and trip.
Add pictures here
✖

You can jury-rig some wing-type baffles to help ride up on the wave, but the adverse effect is that IF you dig in, you're looking at your own butt.
Add pictures here
✖

Especially is shallow waters...LOL
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/11/2010 8:15 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Just wondering...
If I reworked a Hoby as a jet boat, how much power do you guess it might take to push it along at, say, 5 and 10 mph?
I might be about to set my beer aside and try something goofy...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Jet? As in water jet or Jet Jet? *s* But you wouldn't be talking fluidyne here, eh?
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/12/2010 11:09 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Yup - fluidyne water jet. I've been doing a lot of re-design and it appears that I can boost both the efficiency and the oscillation rate to the limits of mechanical check valves.
With a platform like the Hoby, I think I can mount a tracking solar concentrator and have 3-4 kW of input power to work with and (perhaps) 50% of that in pump power.
My problem is that I'm not sure that'd be enough to pull a twin-hull platform.
Heh - it just occurred to me that if I needed a horn, I could disconnect the pump and use the engine (at say, 1kHz@1.5kW} to warn off the jet skiers. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I thoroughly despise jet skis..... to be more precise, I thoroughly despise the Great Unwashed who seem to see the need to get drunk and destroy the very expensive peace and quiet one pays for on the shores of otherwise untainted inland lakes.
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:
I thoroughly despise jet skis..... to be more precise, I thoroughly despise the Great Unwashed who seem to see the need to get drunk and destroy the very expensive peace and quiet one pays for on the shores of otherwise untainted inland lakes. -------------------------------------------- Want an arguement?
Change the subject.
If ever there was a time for Darwin to kick in.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

I will entertain you, Lew...for a lark:

We could start an argument on the spelling of argument, but what ARE you talking about?

WHAT subject? The one where Morris mentions his warning off jet-skis, and my distaste for them? (Hinting at running them over instead, or was that too deep for you?)

Explain that, please.
✖
Robatoy wrote:
We could start an argument on the spelling of argument, but what ARE you talking about? ------------------ Try jet skis, then toss in stink boats.

Explain that, please. -------------------------------- In order to get the keys to one of those pieces of garbage, you have to prove that you have no more than two brain cells, one of which is dead.
Left to their own devices, Darwin kicks in.
Same applies to the SeaRay crowd.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:18:57 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

But no fences as the snow mobile folk have. :(
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

WTF ARE those things? What is the point of them? You can't safely ski behind them because if I swing out, *I* will be turning that 'boat' and not the driver.
Add pictures here
✖
"CW" wrote:

----------------------------------------- I rode in high school. Sold it to go to school and never looked back.
My landlord was a major supplier to H/D.
He got hit on his bike, saved his foot, but he will never walk right again.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/12/10 12:42 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I'm with you one that.... add to the list anything with unnecessarily loud engines, including Pick-up trucks and Motorcycles.
You Harley riders will take issue with me, but they are nothing more than a "look at me" device. "Ooo, look at me, I'm so cool, I drive a ridiculously loud motorcycle. F#@k the rest of civilization and *your* relaxation, I have a right to be loud. After all, I'm a dentist all week and need an outlet for my inner beast. Oh yeah, and I have a small pecker." :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

Angela is convinced that there has to be a direct inverse relationship between the size of a guy's SUV tires and the size of his dick. I mean her girlfriends all just swoon at the sight of a monster truck..:-) I used to drive a MiniCooperS in university. Eh? Eh? =0) (Robbie who remembers almost missing a rent payment because he couldn't turn down a deal on 4 minilites. Turns out the guy that sold them to me needed his rent money. I felt bad about that.)
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/12/2010 1:32 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

That should be about the same power output as the old Evinrude Lightwin. Not gonna move a Hobie _fast_ but it will move it at a useful speed assuming you don't lose much efficiency in the propulsor.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/12/2010 1:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Thanks, John, that's what I needed to know. I'm not sure how well it's going to work out, but that tells me that it's worth a try. The engine isn't anywhere near as big a deal as the tracking system needed to keep the collector pointed at the sun.
Propulsion will be essentially a straight path with a tee connection to the engine between a pair of check valves. During the expansion half of the cycle water will be discharged rearward, and during the contraction half of the cycle water will be sucked in from the forward direction.
I don't need to go fast - I just need to come _back_. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar