144,000 horsepower

----------------------------------------- What provisions do you plan to marinize this stuff to survive in either fresh or salt water?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm thinking this will be a one-voyage event - what do you have in mind?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Oops - I meant to point out (but forgot) that the tracking system's primary job will be to accommodate the inertia of the collector - to keep it in the same orientation while the boat moves under it. This should provide minimal loading on the motors.

Tracking the apparent movement of the sun will, I think, be smallest part of the job.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:46:10 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

True, I wasn't like some of you guys, writing in cunieform or Latin when I was in school. ;)

You may be right, but I was already watching TV when the series ended, so I'm sure I watched some of the episodes with the family. When Dad retired from the USAF, we moved to LoCal and he took me to see some of the subs on display in San Diego. That was way cool.

Back to TV, I vividly remember these: SeaQuest ('93, with Stephanie Beacham and Rosalind Allen, hubbahubba), the SeaView ('61), Sea Hunt ('58-61, with Lloyd Bridges.)

-- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. -- Thomas H. Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:45:55 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

How about air-loading some cylinders connected to the collector system's (weighted) base to allow semi-free pivoting? It would counteract the rocking motion of the boat to a great extent so feedback from the position sensors would be diminished, lessening the collector's "need to adjust" sensing. Are you using some sort of time delay, too?

-- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. -- Thomas H. Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like the idea, but am /really/ trying to avoid "scope creep" here. :)

There's another aspect - I plan on posting photos and videos of whatever I end up with, and I don't want any of that to be easily adapted for pickup truck mountable fire control or weapons platforms. :(

Duane Johnson's (redrok.com) little LED-based controller incorporates an adjustable delay feature that I suspect will end up being tweaked immediately before and during the voyage.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

-------------------------------------- If life of device is spent around water, then steel, other than galvanized, won't survive and brass is no good around salt water.

So it depends on how long is the install life before actually being asked to perform task on how you approach the problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------- Next time you are in Cleveland, you van visit the COD, a WWII submarine, permanently on display.

Next door is the Rock & Roll hall of Fame.

You get to kill two birds with one stone.

Episodes of "Sea Hunt" still appear on late night TV here along with "Mr. Ed".

Can "Gilligan's Island" be far behind?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew, Recently heard that a re-make of Gilligan's Island is in the works. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

Ricci for Mary-Ann and Lady Gaga for Ginger. Tim Conway for skipper, ... lesseee...who else..

Reply to
Robatoy

No problemo :o) We're sandbagging (again) in Iowa, but there's no danger (yet) from salt water.

I'm hoping it won't take more than an hour to set up and worry over, another hour for a two-mile round-trip, and then twenty minutes for teardown.

Here's the most probable test site (watch for wrap):

should be able to recycle most of the materials.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Ricci for Mary-Ann and Lady Gaga for Ginger. Tim Conway for skipper, ... lesseee...who else..

-------------------------------- From the vault of useless trivia.

"Tim" Conway started out life as Tom Conway in Chagrin Falls, a Cleveland burb.

When he got to California, he found there was already an actor named Tom Conway, thus "Chagrin Tom Conway" became "Tim Conway" and the rest is history.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

there's a pretty wide choice.

My concern, again, would be the combination of speed and power needed to orient the collector. IMHO, it would go up considerably with requirements for accuracy. If a fairly wide range of "almost OK" would be acceptable, then a slower actuator and less power would be needed. When the Hobie bobs in a wave or turns sharply, it's going to put one heck of a load on the actuators, I think.

BTW, if I was planning something that required tracking, I'd consider an X-shaped baffle inside a coffee can with solar cells located on each of the 4 corners where the X comes together. Then, any pointing away from the sun would create more voltage on one or two of the cells. Two relays- one for horizontal and one for vertical movement could be used, with two coils per relay moving a center contact. As one coil would get more power from the solar cell, it would draw the contactor toward it and thus make an electrical contact. With no light or with a balanced "shadow," from the X-shaped baffle, the pull on either side of the contactor would be equal, and thus no current to an actuator. I'm sure that this has been done many times by others.

Reply to
Nonny

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:36:47 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

No doubt _that_ has already been done six ways from Sunday. Don't sweat it. People doing that would have lots of money to buy sophisticated compensation units.

Yeah, prolly so.

-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:30:18 -0800, the infamous "Kerry Montgomery" scrawled the following:

So give me a real reason to visit Cleavage, Oh10, eh?

"Reality based", no doubt. I'm sure glad I turned in my satellite dish.

-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's only 125 miles from Tony Packos.

Reply to
LDosser

No doubt - but not by everyone who might like to have, and I'm not inclined to provide a "how-to" for doing it on the cheap.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:45:29 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

And that is...?

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The best Hungarian Hot Dogs on the Planet!

Reply to
LDosser

I'd prefer not to sweat it, but do. By way of explanation let me share a short thread I saved (OP had a middle-eastern name and was posting via Google Groups from the UK):

comp.lang.c - 2006 July 20-21 Subject: Center of Contour

Speed:

Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.

I have a considerable circular region with streaks coming out of it in either direction. Basically i want to find the center of the circular region but it is getting offset due to the presence of connected outlier segments.

I am working with binary images only.

Morris:

It's not really a difficult problem; but the answer would depend on what you mean by "efficiency". Are you looking for the smallest code footprint - or are you looking for fastest execution time?

Speed:

I am working with a 120x160 binary edge image and by efficient I mean - mostlly speed of execution.

Morris:

I thought it might be an interesting exercise. Including some #defines to parameterize the problem, the solution took fewer than 2 dozen statements. It was compact _and_ fast.

Pleased with myself, I leaned back and thought about possible/probable uses for the code... ...and then deleted the files.

Sometimes life just sucks.

Reply to
Morris Dovey