In a state of...

...flux.

I know that you have to use it when using solder ring or end feed fittings, but what exactly is it & what does it do?

Just curious.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IIUC flux prevents burning on the metal surfaces (solder would not adhere well where there is oxidisation) and aids the solder in spreading out.

Reply to
R D S

Keeps the metal chemically clean and prevents it oxidising. This enables to solder to "wet" the surface of the metal.

Reply to
John Rumm

rips teh oxides off the metal you want to solder to so it flows and makes a surface (alloy? amalgam?) anyway, its the oxide ripping part that makes it work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a form of acid, cleans the copper giving a better seal with the solder

Reply to
Slider

Plumber's flux maybe, electronics people use "non-acid flux" and I've no idea what it is.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Rosin, usually.