14" bandsaw comparison...Grizz vs. Jet. thoughts?

Hey all, I will be getting a bandsaw this year some time, and was dead set on the G0555 for its price and good reviews. But I noticed that Woodcraft has a 10% off JET sale this month, so with their accessory rebate on top, this brings them to within $20 of each other, so now some input is neeeded to decide. Here's my breakdown:

Grizz g0555 : (open stand) $433 shipped + $50 riser block = $483. in its favor :

- comes with a fence and miter guage.

- bearing blade guides

- quick release blade tensioner built in

Jet JWBS-14CS : (closed stand) $499 - 10% + $69 riser block + $34 tax - $50 accessory rebate = $503. in its favor :

- closed stand, smaller footprint

- heavier (I think)

- larger table

- established quality??

What value do you place on the features like a quick blade release, etc? I have never owned a bandsaw, so I don't know where to place the emphasis. How bout some positive or negative comments on these and any other points:

- Price vs features. - Resaw ability / performance with riser installed - Fit and Finish - Ease of setup / tuning - etc.

Thanks for the discussion. I look forward to your comments!!

-Rob

Reply to
rob

Kids at school line up to use the 50+ year old Delta rather than risk frustration with the 5 years and barely used Grizz. Just won't do things right twice in a row, and I have tried and tried to get it tuned.

Open stand/closed stand your call. Open allows you to pitch the space-waster and build a cabinet to set it on which you can use for storage. Or put some shelves and store "someday" pieces.

Fences on a good bandsaw are often difficult to justify over ad-hoc types. On a questionable one ... well, your choice.

Reply to
George

-snip-

I own the Jet 16" and a Jet 12". Neither of them have a quick tension release although the 16" is MUCH better than the 12". From what I've seen, the 14" is very similar to the 12". If that is true, AND if you intend to be religious about de-tensioning the blade at the end of the day, you will curse the day you got a BS without a quick release.

I wound up making and epoxying a crank to the little knob on the 12" saw to prevent blistering my hand tensioning and de-tensioning a 1/2" blade. Used some scrap Cherry. That crank is the prettiest thing about that saw.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

i have the Jet (cabinet) with the riser and have added the tensioner and an aftermarket spring. it came with the fence and I have used it to resaw birch, red oak, white oak, walnut and ash. using blades from Suffolk, I have little to no drift. I have used it a lot and have no regrets and would purchase one again. I sue blades from 1/8 - 3/4 without any setup problems. I use red oak for the guide blocks (top & bottom)

BRuce

rob wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Rob,

I've had the grizz for about 8 months now. I haven't had any trouble with it thus far. I've cut 4 cabriole legs on it, as well as some other miscellaneous things.

I can't speak of the Jet, since I've never used one, but I've been very pleased with the grizzly.

Reply to
Tom Wojeck