Wood Floor Threshold Detail

Hi all

Bit of a dim moment here! It is fast approaching time to floor the hallway and SWMBO wants wood - probably engineered wood - on concrete base. The consensus suggests a floating floor is probably the way to go.

The question relates to the detail at the door thresholds - there are four to contend with - three onto carpet and one onto lino.

My understanding is that the threshold strip will be located directly below the door bottom edge. So do I simply project the floor 1/4" (say) into this space then look for a threhold strip to form the transition between carpet/lino and wood?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

TheScullster wibbled on Tuesday 29 September 2009 09:16

I would - though there exists the option to bond wood down to concrete too.

This is more or less what I'm doing. Depending on the side of the frame the door is, I found it quite satisfactory to run the wood upto the frame edge. The remaining gap may be closed by a floating wood threshold trim, that allows the wood to slide under it and maintains the 1cm or so gap to allow for expansion. I haven't fixed this trim to the threshold yet, and it needs fixing, so I'm thinking about glueing it on with a drop of silicone to allow it to move a little rather than break when stepped on.

Reply to
Tim W

"Tim W" wrote

Hi Tim

Doesn't the flooring need to project a little beyond the frame edge (under the door)? Otherwise the edge of the threshold strip top cover will have to project back out beyond the frame edge (by say 1/4") to rest on top of the flooring.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

TheScullster wibbled on Tuesday 29 September 2009 09:53

That's upto how you find the appearance. I don't find that a problem as the trim is quite fine. If it would bother you, then obviously you can push the wood into the doorway a bit and set the trim and threshold back a bit :)

Reply to
Tim W

When I had my hall floored with oak, the builder just ran the flooring under the door and chamfered the edge down a a shallow angle so that it met the carpet or vinyl in the other room with a short vertical edge before the chamfer started

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm