Wireless World February 1965

Hi to everyone on the list,

I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine "Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article which appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to cover all expenses of copying etc.

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator designed by Ken Johnson which uses "Turns Cancellation" in order to tune the inductor within the oscillator.

After reading an incomplete description of the design in "Amateur radio techniques" I have been successful in getting the design to work but I understand the WW article had much more detail and background information which I should like to see.

Many thanks,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

Why not post to sci.electronics.*?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A quick look on my shelves shows that mine only go back to November 1966.

You might find them available at a *good* library (or they might get a copy for you), Wireless World was the sort of 'professional' magazine that libraries used to subscribe to.

Reply to
tinnews

What the kinell is a wobbulator?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A "wobbulator" is basically a Voltage controlled oscillator often used to "sweep" through a range of frequencies repeatedly. A typical use is to sweep through the I.F. frequencies of a radio receiver while adjusting the I.F. tuned circuits. By displaying the IF output on an oscilloscope whoose horizontal sweep is synchronized to the swept oscillator you obtain an image which represents the response of the tuned circuits. While "tweaking" the tuned circuits you can see the results of the tweaks in real-time.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

Hi and many thanks for the tip but I just attempted to post to sci.electronics and got the following message...

"You cannot post messages because this group is only available as an archive."

The most recent post seems to be from 2005

Best wishes,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

=2E... Dosent have to be voltage controlled ...and dosent have to be used for adjusting things :)

Reply to
itsdoingfunnythings

He said "sci.electronics.*", i.e. one (or more) of the groups with names starting with sci.electronics. Pick a suitable one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk explained :

Try posting this in uk.radio.amateur

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

He definitely needs to get out more.

Reply to
Bruce

Yeah - the old Samuel & Hutton used a motor to drive a rotating tuning capacitor...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I have a fair few articles clipped and/or scanned from WW going back to that period. Amusing how, as fast as they changed their name to get rid of the 'old-fashioned' term 'wireless' ... that's it's come back into fashion!

Anyway .. I don't have a copy of that article ... but if you go you any library, and fill out the details on an 'Inter-library loan request form', they will get you a photocopy of the article. It will take a few weeks, and cost you a couple of quid or so, but you will get it.

If you know anyone at a decent university then they are pretty likely to have stocks of WW going back that far. I have photocopies from the late 1950's of some of the early days of solid-state audio design which went on in the pages of WW, grabbed from when I worked at UCL briefly.

HTH J^n

Reply to
jkn

You feed it with an audio signal and it modulates an RF frequency with it

- like a low power FM transmitter. It is often used for aligning the IF stages of radios. Squirt it in at one side of an IF transformer and watch the other side with a scope. You see a lovely response curve that you can adjust in real time by tuning the core(s).

Glad to be of service.

:-)

Reply to
mick

You definitely need to get out more as well.

Reply to
Bruce

I do nowadays, but I'm afraid that I can't undo the mistakes of the past! ;-)

Reply to
mick

That's a problem we all share ...

The older I get, the more of them I make. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Doesn't sound like you have ever been out of the ward yourself at all..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have the January 1965 edition (with the Dinsdale audio preamp) but not, alas, February.

You can order directly from the British Library:

Andy Wade

Hi again,

Many thanks for looking through your back issues of Wireless World. Thanks also for the tip on 'Inter-library loan request forms", thats handy to know.

As luck would have it someone had a copy of the article in question and has e-mailed me a copy but thanks again for trying.

Best wishes,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

Library:

> --

Thanks for the info' Andy,

I will keep the url for future reference. As luck would have it someone found a copy of the article and has e-mailed it to me but thanks for taking the time to respond.

Best wishes,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960