Angie's List

Second time you posted the same Q in 2 days.

Ya' think maybe nobody here has any opinions on the Angie's list in St. Louis?

I have plenty of opinions on the Angie's list in Portland, OR.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

I would like to know if anyone is St. Louis area has used Angie's List. What do think of it.

Thank you

jim

Reply to
Jim

Why don't you share them with us? I'd be interested in reading them.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I am from st. louis suddenlink.com

Reply to
Cindy Boucher

Its an advertising scam, IMHO.

I was looking for chimny sweeps. Already knew several local companies to avoid like the plague.

Went to Angie's List. Had to "register" and provide detailed data. Already, my antennae are twitching.

Get into the site.

Exactly one chimney sweep,

A local company with a bad reputation, IMHO.

A day or so after "registering" the deluge of E mail ads begins.

Fortunately I had used a throw away E mail address.

IMHO, a pure advertising scam used to harvest and validate E mail addys.

Also, IMHO, will put any vendor in the data base who pays a fee.

YMMV.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Its an advertising scam, IMHO.

I was looking for chimny sweeps. Already knew several local companies to avoid like the plague.

Went to Angie's List. Had to "register" and provide detailed data. Already, my antennae are twitching.

Get into the site.

Exactly one chimney sweep,

A local company with a bad reputation, IMHO.

A day or so after "registering" the deluge of E mail ads begins.

Fortunately I had used a throw away E mail address.

IMHO, a pure advertising scam used to harvest and validate E mail addys.

Also, IMHO, will put any vendor in the data base who pays a fee.

YMMV.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

what the hell's an "angie's list"?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Dunno about St Louis. Have used in Twin Cities for a bunch of years. Have had a lot of work done on our house, and have only gone to those contractors that people liked on Angie's List. Every job (siding, roof, driveway, painting, tree service, a few others) was done on time, to my expectations and within stated cost. I have no complaints; it is useful to see/read what others think about contractors for various services. Otherwise, in many cases, you just pick one from the yellow pages and hope for the best...

In terms of email spam, well, haven't gotten any. I get a request from Angie's List to fill in an evaluation on work done on my property, but certainly no spam.

Overall I veiw it as a very useful service, and well worth the nominal cost to join. I am not employed by and have no links to Angie's except as a satisfied user.

Reply to
newluddite

Reply to
Pat in Atlanta

Reply to
sarahdann

responding to

sarahdann wrote: COMPLETELY disagree that Angie?s List is a good thing. I work for a company that does home remodeling. A third party tried to hire my employer to do work on a house that they don?t own. When my employer stated that for the company to do the work they would have to have authorization in writing from the home owner the person became irate. Then the person requested that my employer deliver building materials for a $25 fee (normal delivery from the store in question is $75). In the interest of good-will my employer did that and then just out of pure spite because my employer refused to do work on a property without proper authorization this person went on Angie?s List completely slamming my employer. My employer NEVER knew Angie?s List even existed and has an ?A+? rating with the BBB for over 15 years. Long story short, Angie?s List is a way for crack-pot type people who hold grudges to pay money and then attempt to ruin others when they don?t get their way.

Pat > I love Angie's list. Use it all the time and never been unhappy with > it.

Reply to
sarahdann