HF Jointer on Craig's list - opinions?

All,

I'm considering a HF jointer posted on craig's list. I'm just getting started with woodworking, looking to acquire used tools to make it a little easier on the pocketbook. Already have a 36-980 delta contractor tablesaw, bosch router combo kit w/table, jigsaw, trying to finagle the

50's delta 14" bandsaw my dad never uses, etc.

like this one:
is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off waiting for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like many end up upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to cut my teeth on the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Thanks for the help,

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M

At that price & if it works you should be able to at least sell it, if your not happy with it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Jefferson

IMO (which is worth every penny being paid), figure out your projects and figure out the tools that will be needed. Don't try to save money with a lesser tool. And, don't try to do jobs outside the scope of a given tool. If you are going to try to save money with used tools, go at it with an understanding of the tool and a willingness to do whatever rework will be required to make it perform satisfactorily. I have a 6" jointer which is really more than I'll ever need. With the right feed rate, it does a very nice job of flattening and truing up the side of a board. I can get new knives and I can get the existing ones sharpened locally. All bases covered for this type of tool.

Again, just my opinion.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Contact the seller and ask if he will demo it for you. Bring a piece of rough lumber and see if you can joint the edge and face. If you can, then buy it.

Reply to
Frank Howell

Check it out in person to be sure the tables can be aligned with each other and that the bearings aren't too noisy. If you decide to upgrade later, I think you can get your $90.00 back.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I had the 8" version of this jointer, was a real PITA to get the indeed and out feed co-planer, shims here and there. After I did get it set up, I set the depth of cut to about .025" and did not change it again. Did a fair job. It is now gone, to my BIL, and still works fair.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I had the 6" version and there is only one real problem with the HF jointers and that is where the fence attaches. Unlike most, especially those of quality, jointers, the HF units attach their fence at the end of the right bed piece. The problem is that the fence, because of where and how it is attahed to the unit, is IMPOSSIBLE to keep aligned. That is a show stopper.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I had a vintage four-inch Sears that I finally sold and bought an eight-inch griz. I found it wasn't the width that mattered but the infeed length. I never got the hang of running a board longer than two feet through that little sears. It always tapered or bowed or something, and I always ended up jointing longer boards with a jointer plane. And I was actually happy that way till I suddenly had enough money to get the Griz with the intro offer on their new longbed eight. Now I can't imagine a project without it. (I'm thinking with that bed you'll be okay with boards around three feet or less, maybe longer.)

So yeah, that's not a bad price for your first jointer. It'll give you experience with adjusting (probably more than you want), help you figure out what you're really looking for, and like the man says, even if you sell it for less than you paid, you haven't payed much money to get some good hands-on experience.

As long as it runs, sounds good, and you can't find any dips or twists in the beds using a good straightedge, I'd go for it if I didn't have a jointer.

Reply to
else24

That's like an old Craftsman 6" I used to have (the one that tried to kill me). Anchored at one end. It worked OK. But only just. grump, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn