Will my sofa fit through my living room door?

The message from snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com contains these words:

My sister once wanted to get a piano to the top of a 3 storey town house. She laid a load of good food and booze out on the top floor and invited the rugby team round.

Needn't have bothered with the food, really.

Reply to
Guy King

I think maybe you don't always understand humour ...

Reply to
John Cartmell

Did it have a sofa on it? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I'll just have the camomile tea, thanks

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL!

Any advance?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK, sit down and I'll explain a piano's construction.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You got that line from Eliza, Mary. Admit it. Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Overstrung ~= highly strung ~= anxious valium = sedative

Of course you need to take it easy around corners as well if it's under- damped.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I can't, honestly, do you mean Eliza Acton? She didn't discuss pianos did she?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've never heard that correlation!

~= anxious

I've heard of that but haven't had experience. Never needed it, even when turning a piano on its side to get it round the corner when one of us was inside the room with an ever-filling bladder.

Gosh, it's amazing what details are remembered after forty years!

It wasn't.

Until the toddler lifted the lid and walked on the hammers. It was never the same after that.

The piano went out of tune too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from John Cartmell contains these words:

URDirkGentlyAICM£5

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Had a job last week, guy had bought a wardrobe from an ad in the local paper. Couldn't get it up the stairs. Called me in to take it apart & reassemble it upstairs.

It wasn't flatpack! Removed the handrail from the wall and that gave us enough space - just.

Replaced handrail, filled in numerous gouges in walls from previous attempts by him & his mate.

Long may they build large wardrobes & small staircases!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And you would have got the money - but I'm afraid the £ symbol isn't allowed on usenet. Sorry about that! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I have sometimes wondered if Mary *is* Eliza, actually. With some modifications which are perhaps better not spelled out...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I remember installing a slate-bed snooker table upstairs - and the stairs had a 360 degree turn in it!

[OK - half-size table]
Reply to
John Cartmell

Oh go on! Better out than in :-)

I'd like to know which Eliza you mean and if she's the same as Douglas's.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

when you are *really* puzzled
de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

She is the same, I'm sure. So I'll leave him to explain. Or Google will help.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Damn and blast! DirkGently?! There was I wondering how Mary could possibly not have understood overstrung and valium and now I'm lost too!

-- Holly, in France, who should be doing the mumsy bit and cooking the pancakes in the special fried-eggs and pancakes only pan....... Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France