Why street lights on all night?

The ones I can recall look like circular lumps/bumps of reflective paint glued to the road surface, but that's not in a snow plough area. They came up in conversation when I was out there one time, and one the the yanks said they're to help the blind drivers feel their way along the right lane;-) They don't do a lot to help sighted drivers, as they're usually dirty enough to blend into the road surface, and not at all reflective.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Didn't that old bugger from Queensbury way have them patented ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

or hear the fish-van half a mile away.

Either ears, or witchcraft.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Damn filthy sighted motorists! ;)

Reply to
Jules

You should smell ours ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Then you think wrong. he nearest street lamp to hee is about 7 miles.. The nearest house where I walk is 500meters.

Agreed, the 'pitch black' conditions are a lot more taxing, BUT it can be done.

The solution is to disregard your eyes. They are no use.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well ours don't smell, just what comes out of em. Faugh!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And tried in piles of dog shit, or trip over a raised paving stone, or fall down a manhole because someone thought they'd remover the safety barrier. Although when I walked alot in the dark in cornwall I don't even like the idea of venturing out after dark in central Hackney. I guess the gunshots would provide a bit of light ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Do blind people still use white sticks in the dark, if so why ? And why use them anyway if as you say people can walk in the very park.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm sure I read somehere of a (possibly Chinese) manufacturer of lamp posts fitting them with GPS receivers to control their on/off times. If they knew where they were installed, they could work the times of dusk/dawn out easily.

Reply to
<me9

Makes sense - up to the point that any timer does! And especially useful on self-propelled street lights that might end up in a different place every day.

I was imagining either the (former) Rugby time signal, one of the cellular networks, Radio 4 long wave (a la Economy 7 switches) or similar.

Reply to
Rod

How could a lamp post with a GPS receiver *not* know where it was installed? That's half the point of it!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Most street lights seem to be operated from a photo sensor mounted on the top of the light. These come as both dusk-to-dawn sensors based on the light-levels. The same manufacturers also make (at somewhat greater cost) a smarter unit which works out when midnight is based on keeping track of the time when the light sensor recognized dawn and dusk. It then does dusk-to-midnight lighting.

The new german units sound quite a bit smarter than that.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Ever been hit by a pheasant ?

that can be a tad disconcerting

... but tasty

Reply to
geoff

Yes at least twice, fortunately not had one come through the windscreen yet. Last one hit the top nearside corner and emptied it bowels down the near side.

If you eat that sort of thing. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So they're not proper cats-eyes then. UK ones clean themselves whenever something runs over them - the lenses get pressed past a rubber wiper.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Our local (UK) council has taken to using glued on reflectors rather than the traditional cats eye, also a foot from the edge to delineate the carriageway. Fine for the few weeks they last, and a right pain to avoid when cycling.

Reply to
<me9

absolutely

Reply to
geoff

People that know how to drive do. TNP is not a good driver.

Reply to
dennis

So being a pratt he drove down it too fast and got away with it. Its quite common amongst bad drivers.

Reply to
dennis