Night lights

What are the best night lights and where can I get some? I'm talking about lights that burn about 4 watts and you place them in a hallway or bathroom. I have been using the Chinese made GE model but the quality (both lifespan and filament breakage) is horrible! Seems like Target only carries this model. Any suggestions?

TIA.

Reply to
Scall5

On Tue 05 Jul 2005 09:44:12p, Scall5 wrote in alt.home.repair:

I would suggest buying 7 watt bulbs that are rated for 130 volts instead of

120 volts. The higher voltage rating will allow them to burn cooler and last much, much longer, while producing less light than a 7 watt 120 volt bulb.

You can buy 25 bulbs for $5.00 at the following source...

Wayne Boatwright

You might consider LED night lights (look up on google) that take fraction of the watts that an incandescent bulb does, and the led's last practically forever. I think some of the big box stores sell them, as well. They often operate in three modes: motion detecting, always-on, and darkness detecting. LED's give off much more light than the "green glowing types", but a bit less than a 7w incandescent.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I second the LED night lights

Got em at walmart to replace my bulb night lights and haven't looked back at all

Reply to
me

Hi, Yup. Same here. Lasts LONG time too. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I do LED night lights. Get them from the local Deals/Dollar store for $1 each. You might consider electro luminesent lights too. Sold in big box home centers but also available at the dollar store. Electroluminesent lights do slowly dim down over the course of a year. LED's do not. For the kid, they even make color changing LED night lights.

Reply to
Jmagerl

I use rechargeable flashlights that include a nightlight. You plug the flashlight directly into the socket, and the nightlight stays on even if the power goes out. I can then grab it off the wall, turn on the flashlight, and do whatever I have to do without digging in drawers and closets in the dark.

I've had several for over 2 1/2 years, and they all still work. Look in the flashlight section.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, then an LED nightlight is the way to go.

As to where you can buy them, if Target or Kmart doesn't carry them, you can try any Home Depot type stores, such as Osh, Lowes, and such. If you still can't find them, you might want to give on-line shopping a go. Despite all the media hype, it's one of the safest and easiest ways to buy stuff you can't find locally. The only sucky part is having to wait on the mail or Fed Ex, but some stores are surprisingly fast. I've had products arrive the next day.

As for GE, I do my very best to avoid their products. My supposed high end GE microwave oven literally fell apart after less than 1 year of very light use.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

LED Nightlights are the most energy efficient. Most operate at a fraction of a watt.

My favorites are still the old fashioned Neon nightlights.

Most put out an orange-red glow with varying degrees of brightness. Power consumption is low and they don't seem to attract as many insects as the incandescent lights.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Yeah, go to your local dollar store (or two if you have them) and look at the light bulbs and the night lights. Cheap ($1) or 4 bulbs for $1 and even if they don't last that long at least you are not paying a bunch. My night lights seem to last just fine, but the switch on the switch kind usually quits after 4-5 years. They get a lot of use with 4-5 switch on and off's every night.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I've got those kind too and they are fine for showing the direction of hallway. But your estimate of light is way off for the average LED night light. They give less than one-half the light of a 4 watt bulb. OTOH, my solar garden lights give off a lot of light (but they have two LEDs and 3 batteries).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The LED nightlights typically (mine at least) is only 1/4 watt and yes it does give less light than the typical 7v lamp, which is, by the way, today, only

4 watts. But, it is perfectly fine for "during the night" navigation to the "necessary" room and also in said room. White LEDs will get dimmer after years of use. So, the units that turn off will save the LED somewhat if you room gets light during the day.
Reply to
Art Todesco

Agreed. I have a couple of LED night lights that have been on continuous for over ten years. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

What LED night lights did you get over 10 years ago and where did you get them?

Don Klipstein

Vibration is normally what kills the bulb. Put them in a place where they will never be touched and get the kind that turn off automatically during the day if you are interested in saving the extra energy.

I have one if the bathroom that the bulb typically last less than a month in while the same bulbs last six months or more always on in the living room where it is never touched.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

continuous

did you

Due to all the welcomed posts about LED night lights here, I ran to the nearest Walgreen's and got a Felt Electric LED light for $3.99 that has a lifetime warrantee and shuts off during daytime. Says it costs less that $0.25 a year to run. Works great!

The only negative is that it is manufactured in China (I rather support my own country).

Thanks all!

Reply to
Scall5

Just picked up a one-watt fluorescent night light for less than five dollars at my local home center. It has a one-inch fluorescent bulb in it and puts out quite a bit of light. Don't know how long it will last as I just bought it.

Reply to
EXT