Radio Antenna on street lights

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little antennas on the top.
What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the old ones too.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:12:58 +0000

Where I lived in the States, they were so that a speeding Police Cruiser or Fire Engine could signal them on approach to turn green in its favour. Or it could be some remote control, allowing individual shut-off, instead of block by block. Or, if you see black helicopters marked 'GCHQ' hanging around, they could be something else entirely.......
There was also a local experiment in the US to provide WiFi for residents, and they used street light poles to hold the antennae, but the whole scheme foundered and died. The equipment is probably still there, if anybody wants it.
--
Davey.

On 12/12/2013 19:38, Davey wrote:

Westminster council offer free wireless access in Central London using wireless access points mounted on lamp post. This is with BT, they use an SSID of BTWiFi and the service is not that fast (well, it's free).
Now some hospitality buildings I visit also have their guest wireless provided by BT, and it's the same BTWifi SSID name that's advertised to use. That one is faster (sometimes upto 20Mbps), but occasionaly I come across a guest that's unwittedly connected to the lamp post outside the window, and they are complaining that it's slow. Such fun :-|
--
Adrian C

On 12/12/2013 19:38, Davey wrote:

Er . . the OP was asking about street lights, not traffic lights.
--
Cheers,
Roger

True. Senior moment.
--
Davey.

Yes I noticed this. Maybe they can phone home to let them know the bulb blew?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Roger Mills" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:12:14 -0000, "Brian Gaff"

How far are they sending a signal and how much does it cost?
The logical thing for a council to do is wait til people report a street light is out. If no one does then it's not needed.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On 13/12/2013 11:14, mogga wrote:

Er, that may have been a joke.
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:21:05 +0000, newshound

No it does actually say it on one of the links - perhaps the Wirral one
Night inspection of lights controlled by the central management system would no longer be required, as faulty lights would be reported by the computer. http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/4534406._Smart__street_lamps_trial_for/
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Why not wait for complaints? I emailed my council when the light here went out, they replaced the bulb in 2 days.
--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.

Indeed. This is how I've always done it. Make their life easy by including the post number when you let them know too. :)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Didn't think of that, didn't know they were that organised. I just said the one right outside my house and gave them my address.
--
How to start a fight, number 46:
Wait till a bunch of girls walk past a phone box.
mogga wrote:

In our area you go on line and get a street map with every lamp post shown, you just need to click on the right one. They seem to respond pretty efficiently too.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I think streetlights are a waste of money. My car has headlights.
--
Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:27:30 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

Nearest street lights to here are a mile and a half away. On a clear moonless night the stars and milky way are stunning and provide enough light to move about safely. Moon light is more than enough. There is a bit of light pollution from Carlisle 30 miles away if you know where to look but Teeside is the worst at over 40 miles, I pity those that can only see a few of the brightest stars due to light pollution.
Different matter on a thick cloudy night, it is dark, absolutely dark, disturbingly dark, that's why I have a torch. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Sunday 15 December 2013 00:18 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I remember a camping trip to Cape Wrath 20 years ago. It was so unpoluted, as you say, the arms of the Milky Way were distinct and it was like seeing into infinity with clarity.

So there is a good reason to be up in them thar hills then Dave;?...
--
Tony Sayer

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:00:04 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Yep, it's like that here. Nearest street light's at least four-five miles away with a big hill in the way. The nearest small city is 20 miles away, and contributes no light pollution at all. Friends from London just stand and stare in amazement.
On Friday 13 December 2013 11:14 mogga wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Without knowing any details, I would not mind betting they form a simple mesh network - so in the best case, each one only has to reach as far as the next, or the one after that in the case of single unit failure.
Occasionally one would have a proper uplink.

Maybe it's just to control the timer?
--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.