Radio Antenna on street lights

In article , mogga scribeth thus

As alluded to elsewhere they use the 868 MHz band and very narrowband tech and they won't be on all the time just now and again like most all other 868 MHz devices.

Such licence exempt devices have to accommodate the possibility of interference...

Ofcom let the use of power line adapters happen for wi-fi use so I rather doubt they'd be interested in this problem if indeed there is one ..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , mogga scribeth thus

Nope .. they use a licence exempt frequency just like your wi-fi and car keyfob wireless doorbell and thermostat...etc ..Etc..

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed. This is how I've always done it. Make their life easy by including the post number when you let them know too. :)

Reply to
mogga

Ah I had looked for a photo on t'internet but couldn't find one so a photo was the easiest option. Yes I know there's probably loads but I didn't find one.

Yeah I guess it does look a bit like the aerial off the router.

Reply to
mogga

Someone asked the workmen and they reckon these lights aren't dimmable.

Reply to
mogga

I have asked the council for info on the RF they'll be using.

Reply to
mogga

tony sayer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

Round our way we have got lights with a magic eye on the top that can see when it is getting dark and it switches the lamp on - then in the morning it sees that the sky is getting light and turns it off. I don't think the idea has much of a future though - it is too simple.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Assuming that all these lamps being put in are brand new and shiny then how long are they expected to last? How long will the bulbs last? All sounds like a PFI delight for someone to sell something that no one needs.

From the telensa page:

identify and understand lamp failures immediately reduce night maintenance inspections eliminate day burners improve public service reduce repair times extend range of information available e.g. to include mains supply performance create alerts for performance outside stated limit measure energy usage for billing purposes and confirm energy savings

Reply to
mogga

Didn't think of that, didn't know they were that organised. I just said the one right outside my house and gave them my address.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In our area you go on line and get a street map with every lamp post shown, you just need to click on the right one. They seem to respond pretty efficiently too.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think streetlights are a waste of money. My car has headlights.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Descriptions of a system currently being installed in Leicester which also explains the logic behind the changeover programme:

Peter Johnson

and report back to base when they are "broken". Apparently, it costs less to pay extra for all the electronics in the lamps than send a man around once week to check. (Except the checking probably got "cut")

they communicate using a Zigbee mesh network, if you wanna look that up

tim

Reply to
tim......

You might as well as your councilor what RF his TV remote uses

He won't have any more knowledge and the answer will be just as useless to you (cos the standard used is decided by the system manufacturer, not the council)

tim

Reply to
tim......

except that it fails "on" on very cloudy days

tim

Reply to
tim......

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

Well thats been the way of it for donkeys years, but the idea is now to make then controllable switching them and dimming them etc...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , mogga scribeth thus

I rather doubt they'd know the company above have done at lot of work on the system they sell that uses licence exempt frequencies so in many ways makes it all simpler to implement, and won't use that much RF "time" and bandwidth..

Course everyone will now blame them for everything that ails their modern connected world;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

ahha, so they can detect people who have wired their pot shed up to the lamp post then.

Reply to
Gazz

Interesting stats: The programme will cost of £13.8million and is due to be completed by February 2016. Once complete, the new LED lamps will help the council reduce the energy cost of the city's street lighting by at least 57 per cent, and help cut carbon emissions by over 5,300 tons each year.

Street lighting currently costs the city council £2million each year. Based on estimated savings of about £1.2million per year, the street lamp replacement project is expected to pay for itself in just over ten years.

Reply to
mogga

Thanks!

Reply to