Radio Antenna on street lights

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:12:58 +0000, mogga wrote:

They are remote controlled and dim-able, we've got them too.
TOJ.

We have them here also (West Cornwall). Many years ago, say in the early 1960's, the street lights here were switched on from a control centre in Redruth. A pulsing audio-frequency signal was sent through the mains supply (about 1 pulse per second IIRC), which set a sort of balance-wheel arrangement oscillating in the control box in the lamp-post, until the amplitude got large enough to close a contact, switching on an individual light or short sections of lights. The slight variation in characteristics of the oscillating switch meant that the lights didn't all come on together, but over a period of a few seconds, so reducing the sudden drain on the mains supply, AIUI. I used to have a Cossor CR100 communications receiver*, and obviously something in the power supply wasn't very well screened, as I could always hear when the street lights were being switched on. There was a greatly enlarged model of this oscillating switch on display in the Science Museum, which worked when you pressed one of the buttons that were on every display case.
*
http://www.shopingathome.com/images/B28.jpg
--

Chris

Adding crap to the mains supply is not a good idea, as you found out.
--
Why do the Scots wear kilts?
Sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yds....
On Thursday 12 December 2013 19:47 The Other John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Let the hacking being!
I want to see a whole street be a Cylon!

Is that possible?

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On Thursday 12 December 2013 22:32 mogga wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Probably...

SCADA systems are usually poorly protected.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 55th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3179
Human being; a spacesuit for a fish
On Friday 13 December 2013 09:35 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And if "they" cannot apply solid network security to pumping stations and the like, I very much doubt if anyone has bothered much about some street lamps!
One of the reasons I do not want a smartmeter for electricity...

You don't want to be able to hack your own meter?
--
Her voice had that tense grating quality, like a first-generation thermal paper fax machine that needed a band tightened.

On Friday 13 December 2013 16:49 Uncle Peter wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I suspect the only options available are "disconnect supply" and "reconnect supply" and I can do that with a big red switch.
I very much doubt there is a "deduct X units from the reading" API command.

On Friday 13 December 2013 17:13 Uncle Peter wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Because you're such a trolling nobber, I'll say this once for the avoidance of doubt:
Meters don't know the price per unit.

Correction, I'm someone who has opinions that differ from most of the group.

Oh. Well I don't have one so I wouldn't know. Funny thing is it's only a few years old as I went onto a double tariff so needed it changing. Must have been just before smart meters came out, or are not all energy companies using them? They give me a discount to read it myself.
I guess what you need to do is to stop the meter sending a signal and put your own signal in to tell them you've used a smaller amount.
--
Dancing cheektocheek is really a form of floor play.

Perhaps he's still putting shillings in his.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I'm not THAT old. They were 50ps.
--
If Christians want us to believe in a Redeemer, let them act redeemed. -- Voltaire

On 13/12/2013 16:42, Tim Watts wrote:

Smart meters don't use the internet, they use SMS.
On Friday 13 December 2013 23:10 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Who said anything about "the Internet".
They can also use Zigbee and other short haul radio technologies.

On 14/12/2013 08:25, Tim Watts wrote:

They can use wet string but they don't.
On Saturday 14 December 2013 16:56 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/2820

On 14/12/2013 18:39, Tim Watts wrote:

That's what the meter uses to send data to the display, it doesn't mean you can send stuff to the meter.
On Saturday 14 December 2013 23:08 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Justification?