Which SDS?

Just received my Screwfix bumph through the post and see they have various SDS drills on offer. Which do you think is best value for money?

Looking to buy something for general DIY where my normal drill can't cope!

Bosch GBH2-20SRE (500W) £90 Bosch GBH2-24DSR (620W) £140 Dewalt DW566K (650W) £135

Colin

Reply to
Colin M

Buy the cheapest - they will all do exactly the same thing and last as long as each other for your purpose.

dg

Reply to
dg

I think the cheaper Bosch one does not have rotary stop, so it can't be used as a chisel alone. The other Bosch one may not have either, but I am pretty sure the Dewalt one does.

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

The DW does, and it's extremely good value. Very good tool.

Reply to
Grunff

No rotaion stop on this one...

Both of those seem well respected.

Another you might want to add to your list is the Makita HR2450 (720W) at 119.00 pounds. (Screwfix order code 54139) Works out about the same price as the Bosch above when you factor in the fact that there are no drills or chisels included with this one. But you do get a bit more power.

Reply to
John Rumm

The cheap one doesn't list a rotory stop on the screwfix web site, and that's something you're likely to want.

-Duncan

Reply to
Duncan Lees

are these inc or exc VAT?

D&M list the 566k as £149 inc and the 2450 at £125 inc. If the OP is around West London then they _might_ have special offers at their show this weekend. You'd get the chance to play with them at least.

566K mentions torque control and is 650W, 0-2.4J impact energy. 2450 doesn't mention any torque control but is 780W and 2.7J

Keyless chucks are £15 and £20 additional respectively, don't know whether screwfix include these.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

If all you want is something cheap what about the Ferm one that screwfix are listing at the moment, 620W hammer stop and rotary stop, doesn't seem to come with any tools, but they only want 29.99 for it. (screwfix prt no 94802)

Tim Morley

Reply to
Tim Morley

And a better product too.

Argos do a Bosch for £95. Not sure if it has rotary stop.

Reply to
IMM

Yes, but it's a steaming pile of s**te which breaks in under 5 hours of use. See previous threads on subject.

Reply to
Grunff

As others have said, I don't think that has rotostop.

Something else to consider is the Wickes own brand 500w one. Its a rebadged (well, was - I notice they have given up rebadging them!) Kress.

Seems a nice tool and I think it is under 100 quid now.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I have had a sds drill for years (B&D Proline) which has been used professionally, for DIY, and lent out countless times. Now this does not have a rotary stop and has never needed one.

How many times to you actually need a rotary stop for DIY?

People buy an sds for drillling and not on the basis of chipping a few tiles of the wall once every five years. It is not worth an extra £45.

Spend £90 on the drill, £1.50 on a cold and bolster chisel and £3.99 on a lump hammer. Sorted

dg

Reply to
dg

You are joking aren't you? I use mine with rotary stop engaged about 90% of the time. Most of the rest is core drilling. The only other masonry work I generally do is drilling for rawlplugs, when I use a standard hammer drill as it is quick and simple. Most of the time my hammer drill has a 7mm masonry bit, the SDS has a cold chisel and my battery drill has a cross point screwdriver head. I rarely need to change bits and I can sink sockets, chase cables and screw the back boxes to the wall with no bit changes.

It took me over an hour to chase a couple of channels for my speaker cable before SDS was invented, using a cold chisel and hammer. Since then, I could do the same job in less than five minutes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes. Maybe your idea of DIY is different to mine. However, mine involves running lots of pipework and cables. Whilst drilling holes for rawlplugs is a fairly frequent need, it is unlikely to trouble any hammer drill and wouldn't in itself persuade me to buy an SDS. For me, SDS means easy chiselling and core drilling (i.e. for bath/sink wastes, or extractor outlets). I suppose if you have no plumbing or electricals to do, the chiselling aspect won't be so important.

You obviously haven't seen my speaker cable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For DIY?

I can't imagine the OP using his drill for chiselling 90% of the time. He wants it to drill holes - and infrequently at that. I don't think he would have to drill many core holes either. The point is you don't need a mechanical chisel for DIY work. You may want one for an odd occasion, but you don't need one.

I would not have used a power tool to chisel a massive channel for speaker cable - I would have gouged a fine recess by scraping the tip of a chisel along the wall. Less mess, less making good.

dg

Reply to
dg

My SDS has done far more hours in rotary stop than it has spent drilling holes. The hook to hang the purchase on was chasing out the channelling for the cottage kitchen rewire.

Speant =A399.99 on the Bosch SDS from Argos, with rotary stop. Used the =

already existing lump hammer and chisel to remove the tiles. I wouldn't have liked to have done all the chasing by hand. Very neat and quick with the SDS.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

makro are doing a power devil one with a 1000w+ motor bits and ordinary chuck cheap and cheerful at around the £30+vat. think it got 2 year warranty!

Reply to
simon beer

Do you mean your not using bell wire? lol

dg

SNIP

Reply to
dg

Avoid the DeWalt. The Makita is a far superior machine.

Reply to
IMM

No. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those buying 200 quid interconnects and enthusing over the subtle hint of honeysuckle and shades of camomile. However, having thick speaker cables does reduce voltage drop and has some effect on frequency response. If burying, I tend to use something reasonable like 105 strand OFC, which is cheap as chips. It may not be chunky, but it does need more than a scratch in the plaster to bury, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle