car seatbelt strapping

Hi, can someone tell me where can I get hold of about 7m of car seatbelt strapping, that I need to mend an armchair?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nellist

You could try Securon, but they might not sell you it, particularly if you fail to convince them it is for something other than seatbelts.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle" wrote in news:3f72cb72$0$8760$ snipped-for-privacy@reading.news.pipex.net:

Thanks, I will try them. If they don't believe me, I could always ask them to chop it up into 70cm sections first, since those are what I need about

10 of! :)

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nellist

Do you need a continuous 7m? If you're going to cut it into shorter lengths try a car breakers.

Pete

Reply to
PM

"PM" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Hi Pete, no, I need about 10 70cm lengths. Since last posting, I've rung a car breakers who say they will sell me a couple of belts (cut out of smashed up cars I suppose) for a couple of pounds each - excellent! This was only after I'd rung accessories suppliers who sucked in their breath and said no mate you can't get hold of that. The penny dropped though and I remembered a huge breaker's yard a few miles away.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nellist

If you haven't alresady got some from the car breakers, you might try a different tact - I once bought some inch wide webbing off

and remember seeing al lsorts of widths and lengths - their web site seems down now... I originally searched google and yell.co.uk for equestrian suppliers...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

If you know the right breakers you could go get some thing like a bit of trim off any car and just stuff the belts down your trousers. ;-)

The ones round here let you wander about after you've told them what you are looking for ie. bit off a Mondeo, there over there mate halfway down on the left and away you go off to play with the spiders, tiptoe round the guard dogs poo and play spot what car that used to be etc. Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Something very similar but a bit thicker is sold in boat shops. I'm also 90% sure that B&Q do it.

You could also try an upholsters ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

have you thought about webbing? ..... I recently bought 10 metres of 50mm black webbing at a material shop near me

Reply to
Simon

Not sure about how much "give" you want in your seat base (I presume). Seat belt webbing is highly technical stuff, as Securon would tell you. It would certainly do the job I suspect you want it for but...

It has an inbuilt one way stretch. That is to say, it is designed to stretch under load (impact) and once it has stretched it locks and will not stretch again.

In a car that means if you have a minor bump, ie, under 20mph or where you receive bruising or stiffness from contact with the seat belt, it will have lost its stretch. You get your car repaired, but retain the same seatbelts because the insurers won't pay for new ones. The next time you have the same impact you find your ribs have cracked...

It could be that in use in a seat the constant load will stretch the belting and it could then lock and become decidedly uncomfortable. Just a thought.

Ewan Scott

Ewan Scott

A large motor factor's that supplies commercial vehicles should have something similar - it's used as load tie down straps. I've seen it in Cannons at Clapham.

Reply to
Dave Plowman