What to do with fat?

We've had a drain inspection for the house we've just moved into, which has identified a large amount of fat in the drains.

This is obviously due to people putting fat from frying pans down the kitchen sink like wot they didn't orter.

Now - we can put fat from the pan, or old olive oyl, into a jar and bin that when full. But there is bound to be some small amount left in the pans etc. Does it suffice to just be sure this is well mixed with detergent? The drain man seemed to imply even fat emulsified in this way would separate out and congeal. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hopefully it would be ok unless you are cooking in restaurant quantities.

If it's solid fat then it can be recycled into bird food.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you wipe out the pans with a slice or two of stale bread which can be crumbled up afterwards, then this solves two problems at once. It gives the birds a bit of extra nutrition and saves getting grease on the discloth or brush.

michael adams

michael adams

I think he's right. We had to dig up some drains that had been down for about 10 years which were 90% blocked with fat deposits from our kitchen sink. We enjoy roast lamb but I had always been careful to use plenty of detergent and make sure the fat was well dispersed before draining. It seems that the moment it hits cold drains it just builds up a new layer of fat on your drains.

Tim D

Reply to
Tim Downie

Knew I had a picture somewhere.

Tim Downie

And if you haven't any stale bread, or don't want to feed the birds (and mice), wipe out the fat with yesterday's newspaper.

Reply to
S Viemeister

... then your kitchen will full up with northerners with their flat vowels, flat caps and whippets.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Should I be using these to wipe out the pans, then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

What re cycling bin does that go in then ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Turn veggie. We just don't get this problem. Easy to clean ovens and grill pans too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The fireplace.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I would suspect that the drains are not working properly, perhaps being blocked some of the time. I would suggest washing the drains out with a hose pipe.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Loved it! I so often have that quandary.

Reply to
Clot

I trust that you have the fire fully permitted by the EA under PPC/EPR legislation for the combustion of such wastes. How much did the emissions control system cost on the stack?

Reply to
Clot

I burn my junk mail, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Wot? I'm reporting you now!

Reply to
Clot

Gotta find me, first!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Right! I'm on to that, now! Seen the blue flashing lights yet? ;)

Reply to
Clot

Too late - I've burnt the evidence...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Your Honour, I sniffed all sorts of dubious emanations from the chimney of

23 Beech Road.T'was so bad that I had a right bad cough fit.
Reply to
Clot