What to do with fat?

Hah! Knew you couldn't find me and my rubbish-disposing fireplace!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Just because you asked friends to burn the evidence does not mean that I will not find you. I'm just searching 42 Acacia Avenue at present!

Reply to
Clot

At £1.50 for a small loaf of anything decent, I make sure I don't get left with stale bread. Slice it, freeze it, and pop what you want to use in the toaster. Also allows you to have 2 or 3 different loaves on the go to finely tweak stool consistency.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Compost it. Burn it. Put it in someone else's bin

Reply to
Me Here

They will be too busy filling the bath with coal.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble saying something like:

Wire brush and Dettol.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I usually soak it up with a kitchen paper towel, and put the towel in the bin.

Alan

Reply to
alan.holmes

I just chuck a tub of caustic followed by a kettle of boiling water down the drains. Then flush after a minute or two with plenty of water.

Saponifed fats will not return to fats: a complete chemical change has taken place. Your extra creation of detergent (alkali + fats/oils) is not going to add much to the load already imposed on the sewage systems by normal washing usage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, they become soaps, but increase in volume in the process, and may become as solid as a bar of soap. I think potassium hydroxide is used to produce the more liquid type of soap.

Your extra creation of detergent (alkali + fats/oils) is

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is that pic yours Tim? Can it be used here:

NT

Is that pic yours Tim? Can it be used here:

yes it's mine and anyone is free to use it/copy it. Just don't expect me to keep in on my webspace indefinitely. ;-)

Tim

NT

Reply to
Tim

Yep, you'd need an awful lot of detergent to ensure most of the fat was attached to detergent molecules.

Don't you have gravy with your roast lamb? Take the meat out of the pan to rest, drain off most of the fat into a bowl to cool, then use the juices and gravy browning to make the gravy in the meat pan. The fat drained off will seperate into fat and more meat jelly underneath. The jelly can be added onto the next roast with some of the fat. The fat can be used for other cooking, dripping sandwiches or mixed with seeds for the birds.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mustn't feed bread to the dickie birds, it swells them up and makes them burst.

You can say that again, and boy do they stay solved.

You are Tom Lehrer and ICMFP .

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Tim writes

You think it might clog up the website ?

Reply to
geoff

Truth or urban myth?

Can't say I've seen a lot of exploded birds lying around and certainly mallards, gulls and swans seemm immune to that effect.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

The myth was seagulls and baking powder inside the bread..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Derek Geldard saying something like:

Not that I've noticed. Indeed, the continuously re-occurring families of maggies and jackdaws around here thrive on it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Someone I sailed with claimed to have done it with bacon-rind and carbide.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

He sounds like a must to avoid.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In fact it makes them reproduce, so you might get a population explosion.

Reply to
Gib Bogle