What to do with tons of sweet green peppers

Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Reply to
Toonartist

Are you talking about Bell Peppers? Bell Peppers freeze quite well. Cut the cap off, core them out and removed the seeds. Then freeze them whole.

Great for winter stir frys and sausage dogs.

Reply to
Craig Watts

Go over to rec.food.preserving, and ask for George.

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched, and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Dried as in dehydrate?

Reply to
Craig Watts

Yes. And it's amazing how much the shrink.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I wash them, cut them into slices, and freeze them on trays. Then I transfer them to freezer bags. You can pack many into a small space this way. I mostly use them in cooking.

If you also have green tomatoes, you can make a delicious green tomato and sweet pepper relish.

EV

Reply to
EV

Got a food bank/soup kitchen?

Reply to
Beecrofter

Green pepper jelly - great with a little cream cheese on a cracker and an excellent holiday gift item.

one of hundreds of recipes available through a Google search.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Me too.

Care to share your recipe?

Reply to
StanB

I'm happy to share the recipe. This is what we use, instead of the store bought stuff. A double batch is enough for us, and for gift giving, until the green tomatoes roll in again.

The recipe is from a cookbook first published in 1963: Freezing & Canning COOKBOOK Revised Edition: Prized Recipes from the Farms of America by the Food Editors of Farm Journal ISBN:0-385-00487-7

GREEN TOMATO/PEPPER RELISH Makes 12 pints according to the book, but I only ever get about 6 pints out of the recipe.

1 gallon green tomatoes 2 medium onions 4 large (sweet) green peppers 2 large (sweet) red peppers 1/2 Cup salt 1 tsp mixed pickling spices 3 Cups vinegar 1 Cup water 2 Cups sugar

  • Wash, chop and mix vegetables, peeling onions and discarding pepper seeds. Add salt and let stand for several hours or overnight. Drain liquid and discard.

  • Tie spices in clean cheescloth; combine all ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes
  • Remove bag of spices. Ladle boiling hot mixture into hot jars; adjust lids at once.
*Process in boiling water bath (212F) 10 minutes.

NOTES:

- You can use all green peppers, if your peppers are sweet. I think the red is just for colour.

- When I'm in a hurry, or making a double batch, I chop all the ingredients in a food processor

- When short on time, I've frozen the vegetables, either whole or chopped, then thawed them and made the relish as per usual. Doesn't seem to affect the taste or texture

- The recipe is old, so I've changed the boiling water bath time to reflect today's canning standards

------------

I haven't tried this recipe, but since it was on the facing page, and the orginal poster had a bumper crop of peppers ... and I was typing anyway ....

PEPPER RELISH - makes 6 pints According to the book, all pepper relishes are best served within six months after being canned

12 sweet green peppers 12 sweet red peppers 12 small onions, peeled Boiling water 3 Cups vinegar 1.5 Cups sugar 4 tsp salt 2 tsp celery salt

  • Put peppers, seeds discarded, and onions, through food chopper. Add voiling water to cover; let stand 10 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Add remaining ingredients to vegetables. Boil slowly for 15 minutes.

*Ladle into hot jars. Adjust lids at once. Process in boiling water bath (212F) for 10 minutes.

NOTE: The recipe is old, so I've changed the boiling water bath time to reflect today's canning standards

- I suppose you could use all green peppers if that's what you have

Enjoy, EV

Reply to
EV

Eat them.

Reply to
Charles Newton

Reply to
StanB

who cares about healthy food!

give me maccas any day!

Reply to
glynn

Reply to
glynn

I would dry them, then crumble and powder them for use in other recipes.

Canning them comes to mind if you want to keep some whole, as does pickling.

Reply to
Katra

Cut them into slivers, mix with slivers of onions & a few garlic cloves, add ground black pepper & a bit of paprika & a bit of fresh basil (dried basil if that's all there is). Fry in wok or large iron skillet at a high temperature in olive oil keeping it stirred until the sweet peppers & the onions turn transluscent. Put in sterile mason jar(s). This is a simple yet superior relish for hamburgers or veggy burgers, hotdogs or tofu dogs, & can even be pretty good spicing up a fritata.

It can be tweeked with other ingredients or herbs according to one's own likes. If there are green tomatoes at the end of the season that won't have time to finish ripening, those can be mixed in the bell pepper relish, & I've even added "maypop" seeds & rinds together (from passionflower vines), just so long as the bell peppers & onions are the dominant ingredient. Mixing other colors of bell peppers gives it a particular festive look & can be put on the table in little japanese cups & a tiny spoon for sake of presentation. In the refrigerator this relish lasts as long as it needs to last.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Reply to