How do you use your excess bell peppers?

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Reply to
James

"James" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...

Make a bell peeper sauce( oil , onions, tomatoes sauce, minced peppers) then preserve for winter. Or preserve them roasted and then under oil. They are not crunchy but good.

Reply to
Pandora

James dropped this turd news: snipped-for-privacy@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com: in rec.food.cooking

I guess my question would be how many do you have? I like to dice them and put them in a hot wok with seasoned oil and do a stir fry with them. Of course I add meat and other things to the stir fry. For some reason I really like them with a course grind of black pepper.

Here is a recipe I found a awhile back. This is not a stir fry but you could certainly use a wok. It sounds tempting with a few of my own variations. I have yet to try it but think I'll give it a go as a side dish this weekend. I think I'll serve it with some grilled peppered steak.

Bell pepper rings are fried and seasoned.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds green peppers (about 6 medium), cut into 1/4-inch rings 3 tablespoons salad oil 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 1/2 teaspoon salt PREPARATION: Remove ribs from pepper rings. Heat oil in large skillet. Add pepper rings; cook, over high heat and stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic salt and salt. Serve at once. Makes 6 to 8 servings of pepper rings.
Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

Stuffed peppers freeze kinda OK. Otherwise, grill them, skin them, slice them into thirds or quarters and freeze em.

-sw

Reply to
Steve Wertz

"James" wrote

I don't grow them, so I don't usually have much in the way of excess bell peppers, but if I do, I dice them and freeze them. They come in handy for lots of things, soups or crab cakes, etc. Omelettes. I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

"Nancy Young" wrote in news:n46dncZLMLArfyTbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

What's a ditto onion?

Reply to
hahabogus

I agree with Michael; it would be good to know how many you have. Another question to ask would be, do they bother you more if they are raw or cooked?

To use them cooked, I'll make sausage, onions and peppers (that's excellent as a sandwich, too!), fajitas, I'll toss them on a pizza, I'll grill them (they're excellent grilled and wrapped in bacon, too), I'll use them in kabobs....

To use them raw, I'll slice them into wedges and use in place of bread for tuna salad, I'll use in green salads, I'll slice them and coat them with cream cheese, or I'll just slice them and dip them in ranch dressing.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

kili

Reply to
kilikini

I blanch them (after cleaning) and then stuff them with a rice/steamed ground beef/diced tomatoes/herbs & seasoning mix, and top with lots of shredded cheese. I then freeze them in singles, and if they're big peppers and stuffed well, one pepper will make two entrees for me.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

I made the following recipe last weekend and froze the leftovers. I had 6 green bells but it called for reds. I used way more veggies than the recipe called for but only had one can of diced tomatoes. so I used a few tiny cans of tomato sauce. After I applied loads of pepper and a bit of salt I put the pork slices in a big bowl of flour and tossed it before flash frying. I also buttered the noodles and served the noodles, veggies, and meat slightly overlapping each other.

It was a wonderfully simple meal. I froze most of it as there was only two of us eating. When I re-serve I'll do fresh pork but I have not doubt it will be just as good second time around.

Lou

Jagerschnitzel SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: June 2000 PAGE: 212

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:

2 teaspoons vegetable oil 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms 3 cups coarsely chopped red bell pepper 2 cups coarsely chopped onion 1 cup thinly sliced carrot 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon paprika 2 tablespoons water 1 pound pork tenderloin 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 teaspoon salt Cooking spray 3 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta) Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS: Pork tenderloin slices are pounded into thin cutlets (or Schnitzel) and served with a vegetable stew in this homage to Alpine hunters.

  1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic; saute 10 minutes. Add tomatoes; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine flour, paprika, and water in a small bowl. Stir into tomato mixture; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Keep warm.

  1. Trim fat from pork; cut pork crosswise into 16 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten each piece to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle both sides of pork with black pepper and salt. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

  2. Serve vegetable mixture over noodles; top with pork slices. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/4 cups sauce, 3/4 cup noodles, and 4 pork slices).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: CALORIES 438 (19% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 2g, mono 3.6g, poly 2.7g); PROTEIN 35.2g; CARB 55.4g; FIBER 5.9g; CHOL 79mg; IRON 4.7mg; SODIUM

419mg; CALC 73mg
Reply to
Lou Decruss

"hahabogus" wrote

They're small and round and you can't tell one from the next.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Any excess peppers get diced up, sauteed until cooked way down and almost falling apart and then made into red pepper bread. Just add them to any white bread recipe toward the end of mixing. Add sauteed onions, too.

Reply to
Reg

You can prepare and freeze the finished dish.

Pepper steak freezes well, as do stuffed peppers.

I usually saute a whole mess of peppers, some with onions... freeze in one and two cup portions, then add to stews and soups during winter... also good to top omelets, burgers, and bake into corn muffins. I also like to add bell peppers to some of my home made tomato sauce.

Even though I grow a lot I don't usually end up with a lot of extra bell peppers, they're one of the things I rarely give any away. Somehow they seem to get eaten in salads, very good diced into cottage cheese, tuna salad, slaw, etc... and I like fried peppers in so many things, goes great with scrambbled eggs, a western omelet, lox n' eggs, salami n' eggs. Sometimes when I feel ambitious I'll make up a big batch of fried rice and top it with sweet n' sour chicken w/ peppers and pineapple, with snow peas and green onion, etc. Peppers are very good in stir frys.

Bell peppers are easy to use up.

course you can use up a lot of bell peppers as pizza topping, or diced into sloppy joe.

Here, this looks mighty tasty, and can be frozen:

Sheldon

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

my husband, the gardener, slices all the leftover peppers and throws them in the freezer!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

An onion that divides when you plant an onion set. ;-)

Reply to
doofy

Lol...and ya know all those Italian blokes *are* uncircumcised.

-- Best Greg

Reply to
Gregory Morrow

We freeze them after removing the seeds/core and use them in cooking. Last years crop lasted us almost all winter. Peppers and onions are one of our favorites. We also use them sliced thin on home made pizza.

Reply to
Manelli Family

I like them stir fried in peanut oil with garlic and a little bit of beef or a tiny pinch of msg. I also add some crushed chilies, and right at the end, some soy sauce.

--Bryan

Reply to
Bobo Bonobo®

Here are two recipes much prized by people who like bell peppers (I am not one of them). The first one is a peperonata recipe from _Cucina Italiana_ compiled by Accademia Italiana della Cucina. (Notice: a 'glass' measure, as defined in the book, is 150-200 ml) Green and red peppers can be used instead of or in addition to yellow ones. The second recipe is from _Trattoria_ by Patricia Wells, complete with her comments.

Peperonata Vegetable stew with peppers

700 g (1.5 pounds) yellow bell peppers 350 g (0.8 pounds) ripe tomatoes 350 g (0.8 pounds) onions 1/2 glass (75-100 ml/2.5-3.4 US oz) vinegar 1/2 glass (75-100 ml/2.5-3.4 US oz) oil salt

Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes, and cut in thin strips. Peel and core the tomatoes. Peel and mince the onions. Put the vegetables in a large casserole with a well-fitted cover. Salt and add the oil. Cover and slowly cook over moderate heat for about 1 hour. The peppers must be just ready by now. Pour in the vinegar and cook everything through for a few minutes longer. As soon as the sauce thickens, transfer the dish to a platter and let cool. The dish can be served cold, warm, or hot.

Oven-Roasted Peppers Peperoni al Forno

Whenever I have a batch of these delicious red and green roasted peppers at hand, I feel secure, as though my larder were somehow complete. These peppers can wear many hats: as a quick lunch with a slice of grilled bread; as a sauce tossed with warm pasta, as a member of a lovely antipasto table. I've sampled these at trattorias all over Italy. Sometimes they are roasted and served as is with just a touch of oil and salt and sometimes they have a nice vinegary tang. Take your choice. Be sure to watch the peppers as they bake: the goal here is peppers that a re soft and fully cooked, with most of the skin still attached. If they scorch, or bake at too high a temperature, the skins fall away and the peppers become unpleasantly dry or rubbery and sometimes bitter. Should you also find yellow or orange peppers in the market, try all four varieties for a festival of colour. Or, if you are partial to red peppers, stick with a single hue. Even those who profess a dislike for peppers will be surprised by the sweetness of this dish.

4 red peppers (about 1 1/2 lb, 750 g) 4 green peppers (about 1 1/2 lb, 750 g) 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Fine sea salt to taste 1 tablespoon best-quality red wine vinegar (optional)

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, gas mark 4)

  2. Wash the peppers, quarter them and remove the seeds and membranes. Place in a covered baking dish large enough to hold them comfortably. Toss with the oil and season lightly with salt.

  1. Cover and place in the centre of the oven. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, turning the peppers from time to time so they do not scorch. Remove from the oven and, if desired, toss with the vinegar. Taste for seasoning. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings as an appetizer

Victor

Reply to
Victor Sack

turdnews: snipped-for-privacy@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:in

That's pretty much what I do, but I'd specify a decent oil (peanut), and the salt would all come from soy sauce added about a minute or two before plating. I also use a tiny bit of msg if I'm not adding any meat, and either add crushed red chiles just before the soy sauce, or cayenne sprinkled on afterward.

--Bryan

Reply to
Bobo Bonobo®