What's to be done with an old frying-pan?

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Clean the remaining non-stick off with a wire brush, "season" the pan as described in any good cook-book and continue using it for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Huge

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1grywvg.x85xuf1ltco8wN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

It is now legal to wham burglers on the head with a frying pan.

Reply to
John

Think of it as a non stick surface with a free base attached.

It is completely worn out and the base was free...so chuck it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1grywvg.x85xuf1ltco8wN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

I sympathise with this, it's happened to me. I use mine for wet cooking which won't stick anyway.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Aluminium doesn't really season.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well, could you copper plate it and give it to your local crusty country pub? Old pubs often have copper pans hanging up but copper plated aluminium would be OK too - noone would know the difference! :-)

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

-- Holly, in France. Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

Holly, in France

How about a bird bath - I use an old frying pan, mainly in icy weather when the bird Chingford Lido has frozen.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Polish it up with wire wool and use it as an aluminium pan, just like we used to before they invented fragile non-stick coatongs that don't work very well anyay. If you want a really durable non-stick pan use cast iron.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah, if it's aluminium, I would throw it away.

I either buy (i) cast iron, non-nonstick frying pans, in which case buy a good one and look after it, or (ii) really cheap non-stick, usually supermarket branded, non-stick ones and treat them as a consumable.

Reply to
Huge

I don't believe any non-stick pans are cast iron. The non-stick coating is adhered by a process which pretty much implies aluminium.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Does too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plemty of teflon coated cast ironers about actually. Ive had several.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote in news:cuqd51$1ie$ snipped-for-privacy@anubis.demon.co.uk:

They don't taste all that ;-)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Le Creuset do them

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated themselves?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar

All-clad do a stainless/aluminium/stainless/nonstick series.

Reply to
S Viemeister

"nightjar .uk.com>"

My Creusets are cast iron ... my Circulons are aluminium - but with superior non-stick finishes.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com>" >