Cleaning/refurbing a ceramic frying pan

Bought a couple of nicely priced ceramic frying pans from Lidl some months back. We followed all the instructions about not using abrasives to clean them, and not putting them in the dish washer. At first they behaved just like the expensive ones you see at shows - needed little or no oil, eggs just floated on the surface, washed sparkling clean under the hot tap without any scrubbing.

They are now suddenly starting to stick.

It looks as though there are minute deposits of food stuck to the pan which won't wash off.

Probably the "magic shiny" has just worn off ant these are now much the same as Le Creuset ceramic cookware which is robust but certainly not magic non stick.

I have Googled for ways to restore the surface, and apart from a passing reference to NaOH I haven't found anything.

So are these basically disposable items, much like the cheaper (and eventually, the more expensive) Teflon non-stick pans?

Do the wonder brands you see on stands at shows last longer?

Any tips about removing thin carbon films and restoring the surface?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Do you still have the receipt? If so, take them back.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

May have a problem proving it was a defect in manufacture and not in use/ treatment afterwards.

An interesting suggestion, but I don't think we have the receipts.

Reply to
David

Waste of time and money we have carbon steel(not cast iron) fry pans that are over 70 years old belonged to my mother they are bomb proof and still don't stick but they don't look that pretty so wife keeps buying the latest non-stick gimmick which always ends up in the bin. and yes that includes one of the Lidl ceramic

-
Reply to
Mark

I did buy a non-stick Lidl wok-type pan. and tried to fry some cooked rice in it the other day. The non-stick surface just lifted of in flecks.

I didn't keep the receipt, but out of interest, would a copy be accepted (print off a phone photo)? I'll ask them next time I'm in.

Reply to
RJH

I find that Hob-Brite cleans ours up nicely without being too abrasive.

Roger Mills

I'm not familiar with these pans. If as I presume the surface is very hard, all you need is an abrasive that's softer than the ceramic, harder than the dirt.

Ammonia and thick bleach are about as good as it gets for baked kitchen grease. Separately of course!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

eg aluminium foil

Reply to
tabbypurr

And read the instructions, KEEP AWAY FROM FOOD !!

Reply to
F Murtz

That doesn't mean that you can't use it on the insides of pans as long as you wash them thoroughly afterwards.

Reply to
Roger Mills