Frying Pans

Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat. Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I've just bought a JML regis stone one. So far so good. not signs of warping. I'm using on a standard radiant ring glass hob. Base seems to be a riveted laminate of steel and aluminium presumably to make it induction hob compliant.

Buying online from their website you get charged some postage, using their Ebay shop, the pan is the same price but post free.

hth

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I have a disrecommendation for the John Lewis ones. Bought one and the non-stick started to peel away within 6 months. Took it back for a replacement and the same thing happened. Couldn't be bothered to take it back again.

I've since bought a bonkers expensive Le Creuset non-stick which appears to be the dog's doodahs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

Have you looked at ProCook? Get the pans with the 25 year guarantee. Pricey but absolutely worth every penny.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

ISTM that some of the big names are really losing it.

Growing up, 2 names my Mum swore by were John Lewis, and M&S.

Recently bought a duvet cover from JL. Before 10 days, a button (because you can't get ones with poppers for love nor money. So much for "choice") came off. The quality of the stitching is average at best. This isn't a one-off, it's the way the thing was designed (so no point getting a replacement).

Last year, SWMBO wanted a lightweight rainproof coat. M&S was the first choice, and sure enough, they had suitable coat.

3 weeks after purchase a button broke (badly designed *and* manufactured). When I took the coat back to M&S, to my amazement, the customer services *manager* ferreted around inside the coat, and pulled out a spare button that had been sewn in, and showed it to me, as if to say "well, there you go". Sarky mode kicked in, and I asked if M&S had merged with IKEA and we were now getting self assembly clothing. The laugh from the queue behind me seemed to speed the manager into organising a replacement. With bad grace muttering that "buttons aren't covered" or somesuch nonsense.

So M&S and JL have gone from being the IBM of household, to just another shop. And, truth be told, not that good a shop (although JL 5 years guarantee is worth an eye out).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In article , Andrew May writes

I buy hard anodised with metal handles, not the tubular ones but the mostly solid ones that split into a Y before riveting on and look for one with a silicone insert too.

That's usually an indication that they can be used in the oven too and so can take a bit of heat/abuse.

I haven't mentioned a specific make as I look for a nice design at a price I like and just buy it.

Small and medium frying pans were found at TK-Max and are Viners I think (lots of shit made by them so watch out but these are excellent - Viners site has been down for ages btw)

Metal handled saucepans, again hard anodised and with similar metal handles were a rare find at Lidl/Aldi (never to be seen again).

The designs are a bit like these but not at those prices!

Although they don't look like it, they claim to have silicone inserts in the handles.

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

'ere, wait a minute, they are hard anodised but claim to be induction compatible which aluminium cannot be, I hope they haven't done something silly like laminate some steel in there too. If so avoid . . .

Reply to
fred

It probably depends on the diameter of the hob and the diameter of the frying pan. Having suffered from warped frying pans myself, I've come to the conclusion that unless the maximum heat is applied over the entire surface of the pan - which would mean matching the bottom of the pan to the exact diameter of the ring then some sort of distortion as a result of large numbers of heating and cooling cycles will eventually result. Not being a metallurgist this might be a load of old cobblers, but I suspect that developing a metal that wouldn't react in this way would probably cost more than could be recouped by the sale of economically and competitively priced frying pans.

michael adams

michael adams

I have a small Le Cruset and a medium and stupidly large Aga cast iron ones. The latter is getting to the point where it's almost too much to lift with one hand with the lid on.

However these pans are the sort of things you leave to your grandchildren... (if we had any - it'll be the nieces instead)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Trust me and go to Lakeland and buy their £8-00 frying pan with non stick coating and dimples over the inside bottom. Suitable for induction as well. I have bought three and used them for about 6 months been dishwashered as well and show no sign of any problem.

for that sort of price and structure you cant go wrong

Reply to
critcher

And each time I hear your name (Frying pan, frying pan) Oh! How it hurts (He's in pain) In the wardrobe of my soul (Oh, my soul) In the section labelled "shirts" (Aah) Ah! Oh!

We got a Tefal (I think Jamie Oliver) stainless, non-stick, yes - silicone down the handle. Very pleased with it - used on induction, and I do not feel the need to get it very very hot.

The base of the pan is exactly the same size as the large "ring" on out hob and heats fairly evenly.

Reply to
polygonum

In the reviews, A person who had an induction hob complained!

Reply to
Michael Chare